Storm in a teacup over free tea

Col Man

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:58 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041011/80/f4biz.html

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's much-loved cup of tea has been deemed too costly to give out free to military staff.

The Ministry of Defence sent a memo asking employees to log every cup of tea or coffee they drink so their department can be charged for the beverages. Free tea and coffee will only be provided if a meeting lasts at least two hours.

One staff member, speaking anonymously, told Monday's Mirror newspaper that workers initially wondered if the plan was a joke. But the government defended its decision.

"The days of a tea trolley coming round giving out free tea are long over. It's essentially ensuring tax payers' money is used in the most efficient way," an MoD spokesman said on Monday.

The MoD has come under fire in the past for wasting money. In July, newspapers reported the department bought 3,000 chairs with a retail price tag of 1,000 pounds each, although the MoD insisted it only paid a fraction of that sum for each seat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 421 • Replies: 1
No top replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:49 am
We never had free tea and coffee when I was in the civil service. There were two coffee machines in the two board rooms, used only when they were hired, so the costs were covered, but if you had visitors, you had to provide your own drinks.

I don't really see the problem, but i think, as you are expected to provide refreshments when people come to visit or for a meeting then there should be some kind of assistance. It did on occasions become quite expensive.

More investigation into spending is needed. In my home town, the council were planning to buy each councillor a personalised umberella and shopping bag. Only when it leaked to the papers did they stop. I've also found myself in the situation where I have been confronted with what is left of the annual budget and been told to think of a way to spend it. One year, my depatment happily spent thousands of pounds on a ridiculous dinner for everyone, as if it wasn't spent they didn't get it next year, which I thought was disgusting.

So much money can be saved if the government realised that they can survive on less than they have been accustomed to. There is no trust anymore, and everyone seems to be out for what they can get!
0 Replies