Verb Patterns

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:46 am
Hello, can anyone tell me what's the difference between these two sentences?
The first sentence should be correct. Is the second sentence possible as well? Thanks a lot!

British people are commonly believed to be weak at foreign languages x British people are commonly believed to being weak at foreign languages.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:58 am
@MartinoKakabo,
No the second sentence is not correct.

The verb is "to be", which is the infinitive form. This use of the verb believe takes the infinitive form.

MartinoKakabo

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:12 am
@maxdancona,
What does it imply? Could you be more specific? I stil don't understand it too much.

why then, when it comes to "I admit to being strict with her children. There is also the verb "to be".
Thanks!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:22 am
@MartinoKakabo,
They are two totally different forms. They both happen to use the word "to". Don't let that confuse you. They are completely different forms.

In the first sentence, "to be" is being used as a present infinitive. You can think of this as one word really, and in many languages (e.g. Spanish) the infinitive is one word.

In the second sentence the word "to" is a preposition. It is connecting "admit" with "being strict".

It is just a coincidence that the same word is used in these two different ways.

MartinoKakabo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks a lot!! Smile And when it comes to this, why in the gap there is not "offered"? Smile
DESPITE
David was still dubious about accepting the job ......................him a higher salary.

The correct answer: "despite the company offering"
0 Replies