Thanksgiving Traditions

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:16 pm
Okay, folks -- what's your favorite Thanksgiving dinner food and if it sounds good will you share the recipe????

Personally, I love my mother-in-law's recipe for stuffing (it's a mixture of chicken liver, bacon, rolls. eggs and various other high cholesterol foodstuffs).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,990 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:59 pm
Hmm, I had wanted to make Thanksgiving this year, but instead we're going to my in-laws. She makes good stuffing; I'll see if I can get a recipe when we're there.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:15 pm
I get to do Thanksgiving every year which I really don't mind cause the kids and their significant others come, too and it's nice. When we retire and move away, I don't know what'll happen. One of the not so great things about retiring, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:52 pm
Pennsylvania isn't that far from L.I., bandylu! Hopefully, I'm remembering correctly about where you plan to retire.....

Thanksgiving is my Dad's favorite holiday ~ not sure why. His birthday is November 22 ~ and I don't think that has much to do with it. Anyway, in the last few years, I've enjoyed Thanksgiving just because of Dad. I don't think I'll be able to spend it with him this year, although we're both going to try.

I realize this isn't the greatest recipe, but.....

The year is 1978....two young girls and their Dad ~ on their own for Thanksgiving. Dad bought spuds, stuffing in a box, veggies, rolls and.....a turky 'loaf'.

The turkey loaf died a senseless death in the oven.

I'm sure Dad would remember, but I don't ~ we either went to Denny's or McDonald's that night.....and it was the best Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had in my life.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 09:00 pm
Nice story, Rae. I suspect the turkey loaf deserved what it got.

Pennsylvania isn't all that far but my son won't be able to visit us (he has to work the Friday after always). Same will hold true for Christmas if it isn't on a Monday or Friday. We can come visit LI, but at the moment his house is too small for any visitors (it's teeny, tiny) and my daughter is in MA in grad school and will probably have to split holidays between us and her soon-to-be husband's family (though she claims she'll still spend Christmas with us whether he likes it or not).
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 09:54 pm
bandylu ~ you could scrap the whole family plan ~ you and hubby could come to Florida and spend Thanksgiving with me, Mom, A#1 son and Paddy-the-cat!

Just a thought!!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 10:09 pm
Appreciate the offer, Rae. Paddy the cat might not like Jenny the dog, though.

It's funny, thinking back to when my parents moved away to Virginia and my in-laws moved upstate, it didn't bother me much cause I had my own little family underway. Now, from the other side, it's kind of sad.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:04 am
Turkey Loaf?!?!?!?!?!

Sounds Great!! Laughing

When I was growing up, my family used to travel to both sets of grandparents houses (full dinner in each) and then my dad insisted that we have a full dinner at home too,..no wonder we all had pants with elastic waist bands!!! Laughing

One of the things we always had was a pasta stuffing,..this was, and will always be, my favorite. It reminds me of those days whenever I think of it!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:10 am
In spite (or because of?), all the fancy dressings I've had as an adult, my favourite is still the one we had when i was a kid. A friend of my parents was the head chef at one of the big prisons in town - he made this amazing scottish oatmeal-based dressing - simple, rich-tasting, and surprising good for you (i looked it up later on). I found out later that he had been a chef at one of Canada's posh-est country clubs before he joined the penitentiary service. Those prisoners got the benefit of some amazing cooking. Mmmmmmmmmm, his shortbread was delectable. He was a wonderful man. I miss you, Bob.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:30 pm
Good turkey soap the day after, yum.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:36 pm
For the past 7 years I've held a open to the community or anyone Thanksgiving Day Lunch\Dinner, for folks that doen't have some place to go, mostly a word of mouth affair, last year there were 45 folks. It's advertised as a potluck. I Usually cook 2 turkey's and a ham, and my speciality is about 15 lbs of mashed potatoes. Other than that I count on the rest of the fixn's to show up.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:53 pm
For the last few years I have been alone. But I have twice cooked a Thanks Giving feast for myself. Following all of the traditions of my family. And believe it or not it helps me be alone because of all the good memories. It also feed me for a month and that is not joke.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 06:17 pm
Joanne, I think your private feast is a wonderful idea. Don't know if I would ever have the ambition to do it myself but I think it would make being alone on a holiday lots more fun (and I wouldn't have to make sure it all got done at the same time cause nobody would care).
0 Replies