Pitter

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:55 pm
I put out a hummingbird feeder and for weeks the only clients were Bananquits. The seem to have a bil slender enough to feed through the tiny holes. I also finally saw them feeding from the same flowers as the hummers. Finally today hummingbirds started coming at log last only to be driven off by the greedy little quits! Their defence gesture is to face down the hummer with open beak and the hummers do indeed seem to be intimidated. Whoever thought feeding hummingbirds would be so complicated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,073 • Replies: 7
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:02 pm
Wow, that's really strange. We put out hummingbird feeders every year and have never had that problem.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:18 pm
gezzy, do you have banaquits up there?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:22 pm
I looked them up, they're pretty birds.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 05:57 am
They (bananaquits) are common here and also on any caribbean island. If you've ever been to one you can be sure that you've been seen by a Bananaquit.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 05:36 am
Littlek
I don't think we have any of those up here, but if we did I wouldn't recognize one because I haven't a clue as to what they look like. I'll have to do a search on them.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 05:42 am
A Bananquit in Canada would be one lost little birdy!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 05:56 am
LOL Pitter. I think you're right. I just looked them up and they are very pretty, but I don't think I'll ever see one up this way. We have pretty finch here that look similar to that bird though. When we first moved up here I think the thing that facinted me the most was seeing eagle's every day. We have a few families of them in the woods behind our house and in the summer we watch them fly out to the ocean out front and come back with a fish. Before we moved here from Massachusetts I had never seen an eagle.
0 Replies