Alison 'conkers' all

Col Man

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:02 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041010/344/f4a9c.html

England triumphed in the latest bout of its age-old sporting rivalry with France when a building society worker became the Women's World Conker Champion.

Alison Everett, 27, from Northampton, beat off the challenge of banker Sophie Besse, 30, of Abjat Sur Bandiat in the Dordogne, with her handbag still slung over her shoulder at the final of the annual "world championships" in Ashton, Northants.

"It was good to beat the French - but to be honest I just think I had a lucky conker," said Miss Everett.

"I don't suppose anyone has won a world title carrying a handbag before but I didn't know what to do with it so I just hung it over my shoulder."

Miss Besse had claimed the French ladies' title - at a conker contest organised in Abjat Sur Bandiat by English bar owner Stewart Edwards - last month and travelled to Ashton with a group of friends.

More than 400 people took part in the championships - which was celebrating its 40th anniversary and raises thousands of pounds for charity every year.

Hairdresser Darren Foster, 34, from Werrington, Peterborough, Cambs, claimed the men's title.

"The first time I played was last year and I went out in the first round," said Mr Foster, a father-of-two. "I didn't have any tactics this time. I just swung as hard as I could."

The group of friends decided to form the Ashton Conker Club and stage the "world championships" while drinking in a pub in 1964.

Now the event attracts thousands of spectators and is sponsored by American ice cream maker Ben & Jerry's.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 374 • Replies: 0
No top replies