Hong Kong man wants refund after treatment failed

Col Man

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 01:59 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041008/323/f47o2.html

HONG KONG (AFP) - A Hong Kong man who was desperate to become a professional basketball player has taken legal action against beauty salons which failed to help him increase his height, a report said.

The five-foot-nine man reportedly spent all his savings of nearly 20,000 Hong Kong dollars (2,600 US) at two beauty salons that allegedly claimed to make him taller, Chinese-language newspaper Sing Tao Daily said.

The man, who earns a monthly salary of 5,000 Hong Kong dollars as a delivery man, said the treatments had included injecting hormones and drugs and using special machines apparently designed to increase his height -- but to no avail.

The 23-year-old fan of NBA players Yao Ming and Michael Jordan is now calling for the companies to repay the money he spent on the treatments.

"I've taken different (drugs) that made me vomit and collapse, but sometimes you just have to take the risks," he told reporters outside court.

One beauty salon agreed to refund half of the money and one offered to give him 20 more treatments for free.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 610 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
I hope he holds out for a full refund....

And education on that it's 'not gonna happen' for him. At least not in THIS incantation.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
As a compassionate person, I agree that the beauty salons owe him a full refund. But as a cynic, I feel that anyone dumb enough to believe that an adult can significanantly increase his/her height through beauty shop treatments deserves to lose their life savings.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
Very true Andrew, but one would hope after this little escapade, the man would have realized that by now.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:49 am
One would almost have to assume that he is not all there. Very poor ethics to take advantage of the mentally challenged.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
There are treatments which I think they can use to increase height by a few inches, but it involves having your legs broken and kept broken by turning screws on a cage attached through the skin and into the bone. The bone will then keep growing until it meets again. He might get a few extra inches, but even at 6' he's not likely to ever play professional basketball, and it certainly costs more than a few thousand dollars.
0 Replies