What time do the homeless usually go to sleep?

asmitha

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 09:35 pm
I am wanting to give the homeless a good hot meal before bed in my city, just trying to figure out the best time to go out and find them, maybe as they are just getting to their sleep spot or do you have any advice for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 56

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 09:39 pm
@asmitha,
Here's a much safer idea for you: volunteer at a local soup kitchen or food bank.
asmitha

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 09:40 pm
@jespah,
I am a follow of Jesus Christ, if I die I die and go to be with the Lord. But unfortunately I promise you God wont let me off the hook that easy. If only lol. Does anyone have any advice?
ekename

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 09:54 pm
@asmitha,
Contact the local government office in your area. They will know which charities to contact and whether local support includes a mobile meal delivery or operates solely from a fixed address soup kitchen.

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 09:55 pm
@asmitha,
I have been homeless, and when I was homeless I would not have trusted an isolated individual offering me food. Jespah gave you advice: find a soup kitchen and work within the system.
0 Replies

asmitha

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:03 pm
@asmitha,
Not sure why you are all acting like the homeless are a bunch of psychopaths. I have given out food before and never found someone who wasn't hungry for a hot meal. Nor have I met someone who wasn't thankful. I'm staying in the open, I'm not walking down train tracks trying to find camps or anything lol. Just people sleeping under lights in my city. Under lighted bridges, safe areas. I think they are more afraid of people than we should be of them. They need help.

If anyone wants to give me some advice, please do. Like I said I am ready to die, its okay, I am at peace with God. But I'm telling you He wont let me die lol. Not yet.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:04 pm
@asmitha,
The homeless generally go to sleep at 9pm. Of course you have to take into account daylight savings time and the season. In the winter it'll be 6:30pm (on the east coast). West coast homeless stay up later as a rule, so they won't be turning in until 7:30pm.
Also, if they're alcoholics or drug addicts they won't follow the Homeless Guidelines put out by the Federal Department of Adequate Rest. Another consideration is the Holidays often interfere with the homeless' sleep schedules. Good luck!
asmitha

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:12 pm
@TomTomBinks,
So around 7:30pm over here on the west coast they'll be going to sleep, I'll try to get out there around 6:30 and hand out till 8 or so, ty TomTomBinks
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:04 am
@TomTomBinks,
Hold on TomTom.

It clearly states on page 167 of the Guidelines, section 36D, paragraph 17, that if said homeless person will be sleeping underneath streetlights, or under a well lit bridge, their assigned time of sleep is moved up to 7:45 pm, EST, during months without daylight savings time.

In addition, if the homeless person was born in a month with 28 or 30 days, AND in addition is in possession of a dog between 25 and 40 lbs, said person will have the option of remaining awake until 8:45 pm EST.

These amendments was made in April of 2014.

Clearly you have not kept your binder updated. May God have mercy on your soul if you get audited.

I suggest you download and print out these changes before the next working day.
roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:22 am
@chai2,
I don't see what the dog has to do with anything, regardless of weight.

By the way, I'm reading a book called El Paso. By a remarkable coincidence, it has a dog in it.
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:22 am
@asmitha,
asmitha wrote:

I think they are more afraid of people than we should be of them.

You have hit upon an important point her asmitha.

The homeless can indeed be skitish around people.

If you are a person, and come across a homeless, in order to gain trust speak in a low gentle voice, and avoid any sudden movements, which could cause a homeless to bolt.

I have had some amount of luck in attracting a homeless by carrying with me several black marker pens, (Make sure the markers have a wide tip. A homeless will become aggitated if offered a fine line marker. These creatures are quite bright, and most have learned a fine line marker is of little use to them), and pieces of heavy, shipping box weight cardboard, cut into measurements of no less than 18" x 24"

By shaking the cardboard in a friendly manner, and letting them see the markers, you will immediately gain their interest, and if they are not too high strung, they will shyly approach within a few minutes, keeping their shiny button eyes affixed on the coveted prize.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:37 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I don't see what the dog has to do with anything, regardless of weight.

Clearly you have not spent any time observing a homeless in their natural habitat.

There are actually only 14 dogs that are in use at any one time by the homeless. You may not have noticied that fact, because they (the homeless, not the dog) are quite adept at using bandanas, sunglasses, tiarras and the like, changing them every day, to make it seem as if there are many more dogs. The dogs are rotated to coincide with the city's bus schedule, and the homeless with the dog needs the extra time to deliver it to the next homeless on the schedule that will get the dog the next day.

Dogs smaller than the above mentioned weight are younger, and in training, and stay with an experienced homeless dog trainer named Padre, until it can pass the agility requirements exam. Those who become larger than 40 pounds are all renamed "Smudge" and stay with a homeless that goes by the name of Margie. Margie is exempt from all other duties.

The next homeless in line to mind the larger dogs, and train the younger, will in turn be renamed Margie or Padre, regardless of gender.

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 01:09 am
@chai2,
I did not know that. I have, however, long harbored suspicions of dogs wearing bandanas. They do seem to belong to small packs of people carrying cardboard signs.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 02:34 am
@asmitha,
Quote:
Not sure why you are all acting like the homeless are a bunch of psychopaths...
Like I said I am ready to die, its okay, I am at peace with God.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:24 am
I really don't see why everyone is giving the business to someone who is just trying to help the helpless. I have no idea when the homeless go to sleep, I imagine there is no incentive for them to stay up too much past the time it gets dark, unless they are involved in something illegal like drug trafficking.

Seems to me, around Thanksgiving time no less, there could be a little less sarcasm directed at someone who is trying to help people. Judging by what I see on TV, there are people like asmitha around, who seek out the homeless who are so wrapped up in their state that they don't even bother to show up at soup kitchens. You've warned her of the danger, she's willing to accept it, and besides she's done this sort of work before. Can't see the humor in the put-downs.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 09:29 am
@chai2,
I admit I've been negligent in this. I'm sorry. I hope the OP has these updates.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:35 am
@Blickers,
Blinkers, she is being given "the business" because she is asking a foolish, and actually pretty insulting to the homeless, question.

She is asking what time an entire segment of the population, all individuals, go to bed?

You yourself said some really jacked up stuff assuming that someone without a residence must either go to sleep early, or else they are engaging in illegal activities.

The homeless have jobs, things to do, places to go, people to see, just like everyone else. To assume they crawl into a hole or box somewhere when the sun goes down, is insulting.

The fact is, finding food is the least of the issues facing the homeless. In a city of any size there are multiple places where meals can be found, clothes given out, etc.

The bigger problem is finding safe shelter where their stuff won't be stolen, and they won't get beat up, raped etc.

Of course they will be grateful if someone comes by with a hot meal. People aren't stupid and know to say thanks and accept free stuff. Not just for the immediate gift, but if a person shins a gift now, will end up keeping someone from giving them what they really need in the future.

Right now, with cold weather here, a good bet would be blankets for those who choose to stay on the street at night. Shelters can be some of the least safest places to be, as decent people will be placed in with the thieves, the violent, the drug addicts.

The OP gets the business because she asked a question as if all these individuals could be lumped together, apparently accepted a tongue in cheek answer, so her
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:39 am
Continued. .....

Intellligene is in question, and is naively saying God will use his magical invisible shield to protect her.

Besides, if, as she said, she has done this before, wouldn't she already have the answer?
asmitha

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:35 pm
@chai2,
A lot of arrogance and assumption in this thread, you all need Christ to lift you from your current negative states.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 01:30 pm
@asmitha,
The arrogance is yours, Bible Thumper. As is the need to advertise your good works. Why get onto a forum like this and ask that question unless you're looking for praise for your selflessness? Where is your humility, Christian?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What time do the homeless usually go to sleep?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 09:22:49