Mathematician Hawking beats Beckham as British role model

Col Man

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:23 am
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041006/323/f41ec.html

LONDON (AFP) - British mathematician Stephen Hawking is more of a role model to teenage boys than soccer star David Beckham and comes a close second to rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson.

Hawking came second in a poll to find the men whom boys aged 16 to 18 look up to the most. He was just beaten by Wilkinson, England's Rugby World Cup hero, in the survey of 500 teenage boys for Good Housekeeping magazine.

Hawking, author of "A Brief History of Time," was quoted in the magazine saying: "Over the years I've been voted the second-most intelligent person in Britain and was amused to be listed among the world's 10 sexiest men.

"But I'm honored to be an inspiring role model. Thank you," said Hawking, a Cambridge University professor.

The 500 boys, from across the country, were asked to choose their top role model from a list of 100 names. The magazine then gave each name a score based on the results.

Fly-half Wilkinson, who has been named as England's new rugby union captain, told the magazine: "I'm hugely flattered to come first, especially when I'm seen alongside Stephen Hawking.

"My own role models, who included basketball player Michael Jordan, helped me focus on my goals.

"We all need goals to aim for and my motto is still 'The more you practice, the luckier you get'."

In fourth place, after England soccer captain Beckham, is boxing champion Lennox Lewis and then comedian and star of "The Office" Ricky Gervais.

Actor and former footballer Vinnie Jones is in sixth place, followed by television presenter Jeremy Clarkson, Virgin boss Sir Richard Branson, former Olympic rower Steven Redgrave and actor David Jason.

Lindsay Nicholson, editor-in-chief of Good Housekeeping, said: "The list demonstrates that young boys really value talent and excellence, be it in sport, music, writing or acting.

"They are not voting for just enviable or 'cool' lifestyles and are deferential to those genuinely accomplished and respected.

"It certainly casts doubt over popular opinions that teenage boys are doing little more than playing violent computer games and that this age group is slipping further into social decline."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 344 • Replies: 0
No top replies