BMW drivers have wrong wheels for Baghdad

Col Man

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:13 am
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041006/80/f41h8.html

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - They're every Iraqi's favourite car, but perhaps not for much longer.

Police in Iraq have started hauling over drivers of BMWs -- particularly those with black, blue and dark grey models -- following intelligence reports that insurgents are using them to carry out drive-by shootings, kidnappings and other attacks.

Roadblocks were set up around the capital Baghdad on Wednesday and hundreds of harassed drivers were pulled over for document checks. Some had their vehicles impounded.

"It's crazy, they're stopping everyone. Everyone in Iraq has a BMW," said Mohammed Sulaibi, a driver for a news agency.

Police said they would continue to stop the vehicles and impound them until the security threat was lifted. Police and Interior Ministry officials confirmed they were targeting dark-coloured BMWs.

Iraqis love BMWs, a car difficult to get hold of under the former regime but which has become much cheaper and more accessible since the fall of Saddam Hussein.

"They're fast, they're comfortable and the air-conditioning is pretty good," said Sulaibi. "But if they pull me over again, I may have to get rid of mine."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 335 • Replies: 0
No top replies