Mathematics - Not Boring

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:30 pm
I'm an 18 year old Israeli(-American) student of the mathematical sciences. The subject of my studies comes up a lot because it isn't common in Israel to study in a university at 18 (and be half way through the degree at that). Every time I proudly say "Mathematics" they go Confused . Let me explain something once and for all - high school mathematics IS NOT the same as academic mathematics.

As a public I service I open this thread and invite anyone who has higher education in mathematics to introduce the people of able2know to an appealing subject.

Abstract Algebra and Number Theory are preferred.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 10
No top replies

raprap

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
The Engineer is satisfied when they find an equation that matches their world

The Physicist is satisfies when they find the world matches their equation

The Mathematician is amused
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
Mathematics exist in order to solve problems in the real world. It has no value beyond this!
0 Replies

Rara Avis

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:22 pm
Wow.

Mathematics has originated because of the curious nature of humans. admittedly, Pythagoras, the first man to prove a theorem mathematically, has killed his student (also named Pythagoras) because he discovered irrational numbers, but the spirit of discovery and creation was what drove them all.

Later mathematics has indeed become a problem-solving tool. Calculus was invented by Newton (there was another guy too, but they invented it simultaneously) to help him explore Physics.

Time went by. Pure mathematics evolved to the amazingly huge subject it is now. Abstract tools such as groups, fields, rings, Galois theory, character theory, logic, order theory, homological algebra, lie algebra, commutative algebra, elliptic curves and much much much more were introduced. While some of these abstract tools sometimes appear in Physics, Chemistry, etc., they are meant to be, and are most useful as, mathematical tools.

Does math have any value beyond problem solving? That depends, I suppose. Mathematics explores the real world through pure facts (and a lot of imagination). Mathematics, as I have mentioned in another thread (but was ignored), can probably prove the existence of god or the lack of which (probably the latter, but that's just me). As far as this may sound to some of you, it really isn't. This is what mathematics is about. You set a goal and you try to reach any way possible. Theorems that sound just as impossible have already been proven.

If the truth doesn't matter to you, you would surely appreciate the imaginative ideas and extraordinary beauty of many of the theorems.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
Faces of the past
I thought it was Hippasus that Pythagoras drown, starting a war between the Euclidian's and the Pythagoreans over irrationals. And Libnetz was the cofounder of the calculus.

There is also some amazing drama in the lives of mathematicians. Galois had a tragically short life, Abel's wasn't much better or longer. And the stories of Hardy's discovery of Ramanujan is Good Will Hunting goes Asian.

If you haven't been introduced to it yet you might peruse St Andrews History
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Mathematics exist in order to solve problems in the real world. It has no value beyond this!

I couldn't disagree with you more vehemently, Stuh. The reason I was really poor in math in high school was because people kept telling me how important math was in 'the real world.' Well, I'm an artistic/intellectual type (for whatever that's worth) and had no interest in 'practical' matters. I wanted to study lietarure, art, philosophy etc. etc. It wasn't until I went to university that I discovered what a trip and a blast mathematics can be. It is the queen of the sciences, the quintessential mind excercise, the game to eclipse all others.

That it also has some practical applications in the sciences and in business is quite beside the point.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
Quote:

Quite the contrary. Mathematics has intrisic value. It has great beauty and is the only pure expression of truth.

More likely that the real world exists only to express the value of mathematics. The real world has no value beyond this.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:16 pm
I never thought math was boring - hard, yes, very very hard at times (for me), but not boring.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:13 pm
I know what you mean Rara, I'm not a mathematician but in high school I got the chance to participate in the national olympiad of mathematics. And the preparation courses changed the way I looked at math.
0 Replies

Rara Avis

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
Thanks for the support. ebrown_p expressed exactly what I feel about mathematics.

But you missed the point completely! This is a thread for theorems and proofs and to teach the masses.

Now prove!
0 Replies

valval

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:00 pm
Re: Mathematics - Not Boring
Rara Avis wrote:

As a public I service I open this thread and invite anyone who has higher education in mathematics to introduce the people of able2know to an appealing subject.
What exactly do you understand in people with higher education in mathematics? Please be more specific.
0 Replies