Help me to understand the correct meaning of a sentence

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:28 am
Please help me to understand the correct interpretation of the following sentence based on the grammar.

"Every person will taste death, after we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity, then to us you ultimately return."

When I read the sentence my natural perception of the sentence tells me the sequence of events flows as follows:

1. Every person will taste death after we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity.
2. Then to us you ultimately return.

However in a study group I am part of many people are saying the events flow as follows:

1. Every person will taste death.
2. After we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity you will ultimately return to us.

These two interpretations are actually drastically different. My instinct tells me the second is not correct. I am not a grammar expert but if I was writing the sentence to convey the second interpretation I would have done it differently, possibly like:

Every person will taste death; after we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity, to us you ultimately return.

Every person will taste death, then after we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity, to us you ultimately return.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 735 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 11:08 am
@aaronbalthaser,
It's not a well written sentence.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:57 pm
@aaronbalthaser,
Aaron that's a tuf'n'
Maybe some context might help
0 Replies

aaronbalthaser

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 12:34 pm
We are having a study group with religious scripture. The context is a little complicated but will try to explain it.

The scripture says that every soul/person will taste death. In the scripture there are two deaths but the second death only applies to people that are transitioning to hell. So the people that are going to heaven only taste the first death which happened before we came to earth.

This particular verse says every person which would include both groups of people. In order for the verse to be consistent with the rest of the scripture the interpretation would have to lean towards the second example I gave:

1. Every person will taste death.
2. After we put you to the test through adversity and prosperity you will ultimately return to us.

But some in the study think that is not grammatically plausible.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 01:12 pm
@aaronbalthaser,
Thank you Haser and best of luck
Where are ye all
0 Replies