CO2 as a gas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
How can we classify carbon dioxide ? .Is it organic or inorganic and why ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:10 pm
CO2 is organic. It is one of four (I think) naturally occuring gases in the air we breathe, including oxygen, nitrogen and argon. Here is a link explaining how the CO2/oxygen relationship works:
http://www.specialedprep.net/MSAT%20SCIENCE/cycleCO1.htm
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm
I asked this because I doubted myself, it's mentioned here that water and CO2 considered inorganic substances in the environment .I know that everything has C atom is organic.Thanks for the link cav.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Is CN cyanide, organic? CS2 carbon disulphide? CO carbon monoxide? These plus CO2 and about 100 simple carbon compounds are typically listed with inorganic compounds. The organic origin of some carbon dioxide is unmistakable, so perhaps it should be considered both. Neil
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
I think the pure definition of "organic" is that the compound contains C-H bonds. Carbon dioxide (and even bicarbonate) do not.

What to make then of HCN, I wonder...
0 Replies

Methos

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:24 pm
Just wanted to weigh in. I agree with Neil and Patiodog, carbon dioxide is generally considered to be inorganic.

Patiodog's definition for an organic compound is better than simply any molecule with carbon in it, but there are exceptions to it as well because there are some organic compounds without C-H bonds.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
Quote:
...there are some organic compounds without C-H bonds.

Really?
0 Replies

Methos

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:02 pm
You're gonna make me think, aren't you? There are more complicated ones, but the first that pops to mind is dichloroethyne a.k.a. dichloroacetylene.

I believe HCN is generally not considered an organic compound, despite it's C-H bond.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm
Okay, I see where you're going. You could go simpler and go with carbon tetrachloride, I suppose.

What about a stipulation including any compound that can only be synthesized from (however many steps before) a compound containing one or more C-H bonds?
0 Replies

Methos

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:17 pm
That's as good a definition as any I've seen, aside from "whatever and organic chemist says it is." :wink:

Here's a halfway decent one, although it requires exceptions as well:
the molecule is characterized by two carbons bonded together, one atom of carbon bonded to at least one atom of hydrogen or halogen, or one atom of carbon bonded to at least one atom of nitrogen by a single or double bond. Certain compounds are exceptions to this rule, i.e., HCN, CN-CN, HNCO, HNCS, cyanogen halides, cyanamide, fulminic acid and metal carbides.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:28 pm
DCE is certainly an "organic" its classed as a vOC. It has a double bonded set of 2 C's,
0 Replies