Can I get any feedback on my college essay?

lat123

Mon 14 Nov, 2016 08:31 pm
Hello, I am new to this forums site so I apologize if my question is not written to the standards of this website completely. I am a senior in a public high school and I am writing my essay for the Common App. Any feedback is appreciated. The question I chose to write about it: The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
The topic I am writing about is: How I failed at making softball team because i “did not get the game”

My essay is as follows:

Through the tears in the beginning of a task to the success at the end, I have found failure to be the only way to grow as a person. Failing has always been the part of my life where I thought I would never get better. Although, it has helped me become the person I am today, it has never been easy. Trying out for softball in seventh grade was not what I genuinely looked forward to, I was never a huge fan of softball. Running the bases and being able to hear the umpire throw his firm, dirt-covered fist in the air and yell, “You’re out!” was what fueled me to play. As I walked down to the field at the beginning of tryouts, I was fairly confident I had a good chance at making the team. I slowly gazed at the sea of ponytails in front of me considering all the competition I would face. I knew what to do in nearly all situations on the field, I was fast, and I was an amazing catcher, but was the competition better? As tryouts went on I noticed I stood out from other girls, often teaching them something new along the way. As the long, hot, humid days of tryouts went on, I was fairly excited that I was one of the girls left who had not been cut. I assumed I must be on the team if there are only this many girls left. Bad assumption. After the last day, the coach told me that I was cut. I gave him a puzzled look, holding back tears, as the immature seventh grader in me wanted to yell, “But how? I am so much better than many of the girls that you chose!” He continued on telling me that I did not get the game. I proceeded to thank him for his time and walked away with glossy eyes that were clearly ready to cry. I peered at the line of smiling parents sitting outside their cars like a pack of wolves. I could tell what they were thinking. What could the coach have possibly told me, one of the girls who has always stood out in every sport, that seemed to make me so sad. Moms start firing the question at me, “Did you make it?”, “How did you do?”. I quietly look up and say, “No, but I tried my hardest”. As I walk away I can hear the discrete mumbles and gasps of the parents who were thoroughly confused as to why I did not make the team. I got home and could not stop thinking about how I did not get the game? I play so well, and I work so hard. Years later as I am now a senior in highschool, I play both varsity soccer and basketball. I am a captain on both teams and I am looked up by many of the girls I play with. I have learned that being the best at a sport is not the most important thing about it. Most of my friendships started from a stranger on a sports team, and turned into someone I could count on for the rest of my life. It will always be a good feeling knowing I am looked up to for my athletic ability, but even better is knowing many of these girls look up to me as a friend of theirs and someone they can count on. Not making the softball team in seventh grade was one of the best lessons I could have ever wanted. It represented that there is so much more to sports than standing out and being the best. Thanks to the coach that told me I did not get the game, I am able to look back on it and remind myself that I got the best lesson that I could have ever wanted; the value of working and creating lasting friendships with teammates who enjoy the same sports I do.

Thank you for taking the time to read it, I appreciate it beyond words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 973 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Tue 15 Nov, 2016 03:12 pm
@lat123,
Lat, you'll find many of us resent others' homework. Nonetheless you're bound to get a few intelligent responses

My very first: Divide into paras separated by carrets and maybe also tabs

Meanwhile just a couple of sentences:

Through tears at the beginning of a task to success at the end, I've nonetheless found all apparent failures undergoing such effort as the only way to grow as a person, always a part of my life even when I was sure I'd never improve. Although in spite of my apparent success, this effort having helped me become the person I am today, it has never been easy. For instance, a seventh-grade softball tryout was not what I genuinely looked forward to, never a huge fan of the sport, what fueled me was Running the bases and ....

Lat if we're lucky, hoping another part's'p't might undertake a few more
lat123

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 07:15 am
@dalehileman,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. But one quick question. What do you mean by:
Quote:
Lat, you'll find many of us resent others' homework. Nonetheless you're bound to get a few intelligent responses
dalehileman

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:09 pm
@lat123,
Quote:
What do you mean by:

Lat, you'll find many of us resent others' homework.
Many a2k participants find the notion of correcting anthers' homework to be tedious, thereby resenting it

Nonetheless you're bound to get a few intelligent responsesIn spite of the apparent tedium, some of us nevertheless will most competently undertake such a request

So, somebody, take on another sentence or two
lat123

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:26 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh okay, thank you. I assumed this was a site for the purpose of getting feedback on things, not necessarily correcting it just saying what could be improved.
ossobucotemp

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:31 pm
@dalehileman,
No, people don't mind correcting. What they mind is just giving answers when a poster hasn't been shown to do any work at all. And it isn't everybody here that resents that either.
I'm on my way out, will check it later.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Wed 16 Nov, 2016 02:17 pm
@lat123,
Quote:
for the purpose of getting feedback
Lat, Oss, you're probly right. I tend to look at allavit as homework

But stick w/ assertion about paras, tabs
0 Replies