How to Release a Mouse From a Glue Trap? ASAP

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
An advice needed ASAP
I cought two small mice in a glue trap. I don't remember the istructions on relasing them. Is it possible at all?
Please advise
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,067 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
Um, they aren't meant to release them, they are meant to hold them till they die a slow death....

Which is why there is opposition to them:

http://www.idausa.org/facts/gluefacts.html

IMO, the best solution is to give them a quicker exit.
0 Replies

Miriam May

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Um, they aren't meant to release them, they are meant to hold them till they die a slow death....
IMO, the best solution is to give them a quicker exit.

What do you mean?
I do remember reading the instructions but I don't remember what it said
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
I mean that glue traps are not designed with mouse release in mind, they are designed to hold the mouse till it dies, and there is likely no easy way to remove the mouse without killing it or dooming it to a later death.

If you are concerned with their suffering, IMO your best bet is to put them out of their misery. And if you want to catch mice and release them, use a different method, as glue traps are only meant to kill them slowly.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Toss the whole thing in the bin. I know you wish to be tender, and if that's the case, glue traps are the wrong thing for you. One restaurant I worked in had a few glue traps for mice, and one of the line cooks, a Latin American with no real sympathy for the creatures used to cut their heads off with a hoe that happened to be lying around to put them out of their struggling misery. Then he would yell "These farging bastards! Dirty creatures, spread much disease!" Then the bloody mess was tossed out with the veal bones from the stock. In a way, he was a progressive thinker regarding glue traps, despite his hatred for mice.

So, what Craven said, basically.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
errrrrrr, why are there sticky traps down if you don't want to get rid of mice?

oh, well - if you really wanna release 'em - vegetable or mineral oil on the sticky stuff will provide release - it's what the packaging says - and it works

dead mice are a better option though
0 Replies

Miriam May

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:48 pm
Yes, it was about the oil thing.
But now it's little too late. One took off, another one graduated.

Now a question on mouse phychology - will the one that is gone tell his freinds not to come over to my place or will he just warn them about the glue traps?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:57 pm
They'll be back, unless you've done something to close off their route in.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:14 pm
i hope that your mice don't follow the example of (canadian) raccoons: if you kill one of them, the whole family will come to the funeral and stay. we've also found that if you chase raccoons out of their abode, there is a good chance a family of skunks will take over the abondoned housing(we have an example of it in our neighbours backyard - grrr - holding my nose). hbg
0 Replies