11TH CENTURY SURGERY

Col Man

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
link : http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13231338,00.html

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1245544.jpg

Scientists have showed off an 11th century skull which they claim is the earliest evidence of cranial surgery being performed in England.

The skull, found by English Heritage at the abandoned ancient village of Wharram Percy in North Yorkshire, shows the scars of a near-fatal blow by a blunt weapon.

But thanks to a "life-saving" procedure performed at the time, the 40-year-old victim of the apparent attack survived his injury and made a good recovery.

Scientists say the man who underwent the surgery was a peasant who lived between 960 and 1100AD.

New analysis of the peasant's skull shows that, after he was struck by a blunt weapon, he underwent a form of surgery known as trepanning.

The procedure involved lifting a rectangular area of the scalp measuring 3.5in by 4in (9cm by 10cm) and carefully scraping away at the skull beneath to remove bone fragments and to relieve pressure on the brain.

Wharram's peasant seemingly lived on for many years, eventually dying of other causes, according to the scientists.

Simon Mays, skeletal biologist at English Heritage's Centre for Archaeology, said: "The peasant was probably involved in the medieval equivalent of a pub fight, or could have been the victim of a robbery or family feud.

"This skull is the best evidence we have that such surgery to treat skull fractures was being performed in England at the time."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
Ah, trepanning. I believe the Incas (maybe it was the Mayas) were also doing it.

Ah, here's a link: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web1/ctraversi.html it was happening in, gulp, 3000 BC in Peru and Bolivia, hence it was the Incas.

Gawd, these were people with no sense of keeping clean to prevent infection, and they were doing brain surgery. It's a wonder anyone survived it.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:07 am
Very Happy thanks for the link Jes.

hmm its a wonder the human race has survived at all if you ask me, thats the miracle here Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:09 am
hmm i dont know if im too keen about having a hole drilled in my head...
but i heard a lot about it, i even saw it on the x-files...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:52 am
Well, I'd say, try to avoid getting a hole drilled in yer head.

Signed, the Mistress of Understatement
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:02 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:17 am
jespah wrote:
Ah, trepanning. I believe the Incas (maybe it was the Mayas) were also doing it.

There have been some founds about this (and might be, in the same period or a bit earlier) in Germanic Germany as well.

One link, that I stored, doesn't work anymore ... and I forgot to search for other online sources Embarrassed
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:38 pm
more than half of us already have too many holes in our heads--somehow the intelligence isn't leeching IN.

LOL
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
I seem to recall reading somewhere a long time ago that trepanning was practiced by a number of pre-industrial societies in different parts of the world in ages past. The British archaeologists, I think, are getting unduly excited about something that was not, in fact, an infrequent practice. If the Incas practiced it 5,000 years ago, it's quite likely that any number of 'advanced' societies knew of the efficacy of this method of relieving pressure on the cranium.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
I need that like I need a hole in the head.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:07 am
Trepanning was used on psychological patients (not incrediablly long ago) with diseases like schitzophrenia and bi-polar disorder because no one knew what else to do. Shock treatment is another lovely method practiced....They assumed the person was possessed and that by drilling a hole in the head, the demon would be released. Unfortunatly for the patient, the trepanning regularly killed people and a lot of patients died instead of getting treatment. Shocked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
But that still happens today, too, Kristie. Smile
0 Replies