As long as they're not explaining Stonehenge that way... Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 09:53 am
Chaos theory at work?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:01 am
I drove past Stonehenge a couple of weeks ago.I´d never seen it before and it really is something.
Couldn´t stop sadly.
You really do drive RIGHT past.Just metres from it.It´s surrounded by busy roads.Awful.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:06 am
Isn't that awful, Hebba? I didn't expect that at all. You have to do some canny framing to get a picture with just fields behind it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:06 am
hebba - couldn't stop? Not even for a moment? That's sad.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
Yes, our bus only slowed down on the highway to let people take pictures. One of the many reasons that I need to go back to the UK one day.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:28 am
http://www.dicenews.freeserve.co.uk/fsdni/ostone3.gif
The black dot to the right of Stonehenge is IT.Heavy traffic,folks.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:34 am
k, ya gotta consider the source, UC Santa Cruz, zany brainy, and well they don't even have a grading system you just attend, get college credits, and a college degree.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:39 am
http://www.goslugs.com/graphics/animation.gif

UC Santa Cruz Mascot
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 11:17 am
Joanne,what,exactly,do these photos have to do with stone circles?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 11:29 am
Fascinating article, littlek. Isn't nature amazing!

That article was published in Science. Gotta be pretty good science to get past their tests.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 11:34 am
The article in the Scientific American was written by scientists at the University of Santa Cruz, widly known in this country to be on either the cutting edge or the crazy edge of education. And I think but am not sure these same folks were responsible for Steve Jobs and Apple Corp.

Santa Cruz is fun to poke fun at at least for Californian's were I lived for many years. The school mascot is the Slug.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 11:42 am
More strange images in stone.

Nazca Line In Peru
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:30 am
jd's right, uc santa cruz is a strange place. santa cruz in general is strange too. nice, but strange.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
Damn it, Joanne, I'm a banana slug. I did my requisite five years as an undergrad there, and i will not have you talking that way about it! Why, even the old tradition of gathering in front of the chancellor's office and getting stoned at 4:20 on Friday afternoon was dying out while I was there. It's getting downright fascist there.

(I was very amused to show up there my freshman year and find naked people all over the place, even on bikes -- with helmets, of course. This was shortly after a lone naked guy at Berkeley had been big news in California. Yep, radical Berkeley. Coming down to Santa Cruz with their shwag and trying to get a hold of our stashes of Humboldt and homegrown... Grrrr.......)

Seriously, though, it's a very good place for certain things: marine biology and astronomy/astrophysics come most immediately to mind...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:20 am
Yeah, hubby is thinking of applying there. We heard it's pretty damn expensive these days, though. True?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
UC Santa Cruz is on the cutting edge of many fronts of that there is not doubt. Patiodog I assure you I did not mean to malign your alma mater. But what can I say I just went off without thinking. I have many friends who graduated UCSC and I thought it was a tradition to have fun with those Banana Sluggers.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:25 am
Extremely. I go back occasionally, and keep track of the classifieds just out of curiosity. Apartments I know used to go for $750 month go for twice that now (or as of six months ago, anyway). And real estate is absurd. Really, the town ain't what it was when I left in '98, and even then it had fallen a long way since the Loma Prieta quake ('89). Could probably still find somewhere somewhat reasonable up in the hills -- Felton or Ben Lomond, say, and when I was there places like Aptos and Freedom were a lot less expensive that SC proper.

Some great food there, though. Let me know if you head out there to check it out and I'll recommend you some restaurants.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:27 am
Cool. Thanks!

The "real estate is absurd" part is what freaks us out, since we'd like to buy a house sometime. Professor's salaries aren't terrible, but they aren't that great, either.
0 Replies