metric measurements

pjnbarb

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
A milliliter (ml) is a measure of volume in the metric system, such as a liter of milk.

A cubic centimeter (cc) is also a measurement of volume in the metric system.

I'm not sure why, but I find this confusing. I remember from chemistry class that 1 ml of water is 1 cc, at room temperature.

This seems to be saying that one of them is a unit weight, rather a unit of volume. Huh????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 6
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:53 pm
Why does that make you think that one of them is a unit weight? If weight were involved, you would need to add a density variable to make an equality.

Anyway, 1 ml = 1 cc at room temp...in fact since they are both volumes the temperature has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:59 pm
I think (but not 100% sure) that this is on purpose - so that weights, lengths and volume can be compared more easily. 1 cc = 1 ml = 1 gram (of weight) Therefore, 1 litre / 1000 ml (volume) of water at room temperature equals 1,000 cc (volume expressed as "length") and also weighs 1000 g, or 1 kilogramme.

It makes more sense to me than ounces, pints and cubic inches, but in Britain we use a strange and confusing mix of metric and Imperial (which are not the same as the US standard measures you have) so I've got used to it. Hope that's helped.
0 Replies

pjnbarb

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
ml vs cc ... again
I did some research and found that a liter is a measure of LIQUID volume, whereas a cubic centimeter is a measure of volume in general.

Therefore, I guess, since water expands and contracts with temperature, it is reasonable to say that 1 ml of water will probably NOT be 1 cc at other than room temperature?

Did I answer my own question?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
That sounds about right to me, but I'd wait for someone else to confirm it. It makes sense that you could have 1000 cubic centimetres of, say, wood, but you couldn't say that you have a litre of wood.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
All good answers except a milliliter = one cc of pure water has a mass of one gram at 4 degrees c = 39 degrees f (Slightly less than one gram at all other temperatures) which is the maximum density of water. There is about one part per million difference in milliliter and cubic centimeter. Both are used widely for volume of solids, liquids, vapors and gas, except milliliter is rarely used to measure solids. Neil
0 Replies

pjnbarb

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:49 pm
Of course, you are absolutely correct. Thanks.
0 Replies