0

The Good Place: A discussion (with possible Spoilers)

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 09:59 pm
I am thoroughly enjoying "The Good Place"; a unique comedy that references Mills and Kant and centers around philosophical ideas and dilemmas.

The basic plot is that a woman gets to "The Good Place" (a version of heaven) by mistake. It is a Utilitarian view of Heaven... you get positive points for doing good things (feeding orphans or giving up your seat on a bus) and negative points for doing bad things (arson or using "facebook" as a verb). With enough points you go to the Good Place. Without enough points you go to the Bad Place (which hasn't been fully explained yet).

The protagonist gets to Heaven by mistake. She is matched by an Ethics professor who decides to keep her secret to help her become a better person by reading books by Philsophers (such as Kant). Her presence causes serious problems in the functioning of the Good Place. Hilarity ensues.

The comedy is brilliant. The dialog about philosophy is entertaining and informed, and the characters are fun.

Is anyone else enjoying this show as much as I am?

dalehileman

1  
Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Max forgive but what sort of show it it

1  
Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
I suppose I would call it a comedy. It is weekly on NBC.
dalehileman

1  
Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks Max, I presume that makes it tv

1  
Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:37 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't have a TV..... It can be streamed from nbc.com.

1  
Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 04:28 am
@maxdancona,
wow, sounds like a stretch forUS teevee. Originality and thinking is not celebrated on our screens.
dalehileman

0  
Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:23 am
not celebrated
Maybe not Man, but surely present in unusually high q

1  
Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 08:04 am
TV is getting a lot smarter. There are several shows that have extremely good writers creating interesting story lines. I can give you several shows that are celebrated (deservedly) for originality and thinking.

We are in the "golden age of television". The fact that TV shows are now hiring the best writers is a big part of this.

dalehileman

0  
Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 01:18 pm
@maxdancona,
can give you several shows
Thanks ax, deserves OP

1  
Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Did anyone else finish the first season?

2. » The Good Place: A discussion (with possible Spoilers)