Anxiety

Greglim

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 10:04 am
I have anxiety disorder and I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist in June of 2002. I still am struggling with the anxiety and panic attacks. I have used measures that help to reduce it and I am also on medication for my anxiety. I wanted to ask you what you do for anxiety?

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:21 am
@Greglim,
Given that you're under a doctor's care (good for you!) then I would suggest seeing if there is any way to remove the major stressors from your life or at least reduce them.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:32 am
@Greglim,
Quote:
what you do
I use a lot of 5-htp but suspect there may be other OTC's
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 01:32 pm
Greglim, 5-htp is amazing However, care must be taken when using it.

I too have anxiety disorder, am on mediction and have not had a panic attack for over a decade. That's going from having 1 to 3 daily.

My nutritionist recommended 5-htp, and the effects were immediate, and wonderful. Gave a great sense of calm.

Unfortunately, I also immediately started having one of the side effects that indicated I wasn't a good candidate for that supplement.

I'll let you research that Greglim.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 01:45 pm
@chai2,
Thank you Chai for your support

...hoping...
rhymer

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Originally available as an antidepressant, the drug SERTRALINE is very effective (without side effects) for some people suffering with anxiety or panic attacks. The removal of stress factors should also be effective if they can be identified.
chai2

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:33 pm
@rhymer,
Sertraline, aka Zolot, has side effects just like any other medication. I don't know where you got your information. That is the medication I take, and when first starting it I had a number of side effects my body had to work through.

One size does not fit all, and a medication that works for one person will not work for another.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:34 pm
I would add - if you want to try a supplement, please talk it over with your doctor before you start, to make sure you aren't creating the possibility of interactions.
chai2

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:36 pm
@jespah,
Yes indeed Jes.

Body chemistry, drug interations etc. are a complicated thing.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 03:48 pm
@rhymer,
Thank you Rhym. Indeed I've been taking Sertraline some time now, and it is pretty successful, but when I feel anxious anyhow I now take 5-htp
0 Replies

Greglim

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 07:09 pm
@Greglim,
Having anxiety is so hard. When I tell people that I have panic attacks, people that experience panic attacks totally understand the feeling because they too get the tight throat, the feeling like they are having a heart attack, and the cannot breath feeling. People that do not experience them sympathize with me, but they have a hard time visualizing what goes on. The best way to help any person going through a panic attack is to just be there for them. Anxiety is a real condition and the more educated we are about it, the more that we can help other people like me who have anxiety.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 11:34 am
@Greglim,
Thanks Greg for that report. Indeed in spite of the Sertraline I still have occasional momentary panic attacks

Hope yours get shorter
0 Replies

Greglim

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:46 am
@Greglim,
Thank you for responding to my forum discussion posting. I do have panic attacks, but they are a lot less than previously due to stress management. I use stress balls and puffer balls. I also believe that the medication that I take also helps too. I hope this helps.
chai2

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:10 am
@Greglim,
Glad you're doing better.

Re a previous post of yours, definately yes, those who haven't gone through panic attacks can be kind, and sympathize, even empathize to an extent, but yeah, unless you've experienced falling off the cliff chronically and for no apparant immediate reason, you don't 100% know how it feels.

0 Replies

Greglim

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:21 am
@Greglim,
There are many things that help me, but the one thing that really helps are stress balls. I make them myself and they really help me a lot. I make them out of a small balloon, take a funnel, and either put sand, flour, or baking soda inside of them. Then, I squeeze the ball and it makes me feel so much better.
0 Replies

Greglim

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 07:47 pm
One of my stress balls is a soft ball that is called a puffer ball. This puffer ball has soft spikes and is able to light up in some of the balls. It just makes me feel better when I squeeze this particular ball and it reduces my anxiety.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 12:16 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I also immediately started having one of the side effects
Thanks chai but which'n' was it
dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 12:18 pm
@Greglim,
Quote:
I use stress balls and puffer balls
Thanks Greg but can you gimme their tech names so saving me the morn at Google
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 06:55 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:

It doesn't matter which side effect.
It was one of a number of side effects that was an indicator that I could develop serotonin syndrome, which could be life threatening.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 06:57 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:

It doesn't matter which side effect.

It was one of a number of side effects that was an indicator that I could develop serotonin syndrome, which could be life threatening.

If you take this supplement, and have any one of the side effects that indicate serotonin syndrome, you stop taking it.

1. Forums
  2. » Anxiety
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:52:23