Who are your favorite Progressives? Who are your favorite Conservatives?

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 12:55 pm
Both progressives and conservatives can be found in all walks of life in all types of professions. They may be elected officials, politicians, lobbyist, news personalities, radio personalities, television personalities, internet personalities, actors, singers, film producers, religious leaders, athletes, authors, activists, business leaders, community organizers, voulunteer workers, entrepreneurs, and many other professions

1. If you are a progressive, do you have any favorite progressive individuals?
2. If you are a conservative, do you have any favorite conservative individuals?

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:03 pm
Cenk Kadir Uygur
An American activist, businessman, columnist, and political commentator. Uygur is the main host and co-founder of the The Young Turks (TYT), an American liberal/progressive political and social commentary program.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:06 pm
@Real Music,
Progressive: Elizabeth Warren

Conservative: John Kasich

(But those are just my favorite politicians at the moment. )
Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:08 pm
Thom Hartmann
An American radio host, author, former psychotherapist, entrepreneur, and progressive political commentator. Hartmann has hosted a nationally syndicated radio show, The Thom Hartmann Program, since 2003 and a nightly television show, The Big Picture, since 2008.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:16 pm
@Kolyo,
Because of her progressive economic views, Elizabeth Warren is my favorite elected official.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 01:21 pm
Cenk Eugar {sp?}
Jill Stein
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren

Can't think of any conservatives.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:01 pm
http://www.naacp.org/naacp-board-of-directors/board-member-dr-william-barber/

Rev. Dr. William Barber

By the grace of God, Rev. Dr. Barber, along with local, state, and national NAACP leaders, has helped to lead the fight for voter rights, just redistricting, health care reform, labor and worker rights, protection of immigration rights, and reparation for women survivors of Eugenics, release of the Wilmington Ten and educational equality. Rev. Dr. Barber has been arrested three times for civil disobedience as he stood for educational, economic and equal justice.
Some of Rev. Dr. William Barber’s other accolades and accomplishments are:

The NC NAACP is the largest state conference in the south-second largest in nation.
•Rev. Dr. Barber is standing with Georgia’s NAACP State President to secure the release of Mr. John McNeil. A man, husband and father who was wrongfully convicted of murder and sentence to life in prison.
•Rev. Dr. Barber has help lead the North Carolina NAACP in filing Title VI filing against the Wayne and Wake County School Broads in the fight against re-segregation and inequality.
•Rev. Dr. Barber fought and helped to secure over millions of new dollars for low wealth and disadvantaged students.
•Rev. Dr. Barber has helped lead Historic Thousands On Jones Street: Peoples Assembly a coalition of over 104 progressive organizations with over 2 million memberships to champion a 14 point anti-racism, anti-poverty, anti-war agenda.
•Rev. Dr. Barber has helped secure the freedom of innocent African American men from Death Row and the passage of the Racial Justice Act.
•Rev. Dr. Barber helped win Same Day Registration Early Voting in NC- the only state in the south.
•Rev. Dr. Barber organized the Millions Voter March 2009 and helped more than 1.2 million black/brown voters go to polls.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:10 pm
Progressive: Jeremy Corbyn, Bernie Sanders, Michael Moore, Ken Loach, Country Joe Mcdonald, Nicola Sturgeon.

Conservatives: I don't really have any "favourites"; I am not a fence-sitter politically. I do have some time for Kenneth Clarke and Michael Portillo as being OK people, but I would not go all the way with their political views, obviously.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 02:26 pm

Michael Moore

An American documentary filmmaker and author. He is the director and producer of Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004), a critical look at the presidency of George W. Bush and the War on Terror, which is the highest-grossing documentary at the American box office of all time and winner of the Palme d'Or. His film Bowling for Columbine (2002), which examines the causes of the Columbine High School massacre, won the Academy Award for Documentary Feature.

Both Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko (2007), which examines health care in the United States, are among the top ten highest-grossing documentaries. In September 2008, he released his first free movie on the Internet, Slacker Uprising, which documented his personal quest to encourage more Americans to vote in presidential elections. He has also written and starred in the TV shows TV Nation, a satirical newsmagazine television series, and The Awful Truth, a satirical show.

Moore's written and cinematic works criticize topics such as globalization, large corporations, assault weapon ownership, U.S. Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, the Iraq War, the American health care system, and capitalism. In 2005, Time magazine named Moore one of the world's 100 most influential people.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 03:26 pm
There are lots of 'progressives' I like. Michael Moore, Maher, Reich. Just haven't put any thought into a comprehensive list.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:21 pm
@Real Music,
I still don't quite know what progressive means, as it as a word has attachments through years I'm not clear about. Just call me a lefty, US style, some of the time.

On favorites? I don't usually think of commentators as favorites, they are other people saying what they think. I have a number of people I tend to agree with, at this time, re their credentials, some New Yorker writers, for example, but I don't give them a total pass either.

Not really your business. I am known to myself (I would need to search) to occasionally agree with conservatives or at least leave them alone without barking.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I always thought progressive was a word leftists took on to hide from the label, liberal, after it became a swear word to many. I have been assured I am wrong, but I still look at it that way.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with you. It was like a pop-up. I don't follow all of everything, so I don't actually have a grasp on the birth of the recent usage of Progressive. Perhaps that is all unrelated.

I'd be mildly interestested in how the recent US usage started up.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:11 pm
Not to be obstructive much more than I have already, I'll think about all this.

Could take a while, as gaging Progressives could take a bit.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I still don't quite know what progressive means, as it as a word has attachments through years I'm not clear about. Just call me a lefty

Generally speaking, the political term conservative is often defined as right wing. Often conservative is associated with the republican party, Tea party, and in many ways the libertarian party.

Generally speaking, the political term progressive is often defined as left wing. Often progressive is associated with the democratic party and the Green party. Sometimes the political term liberal is used in place of the term progressive. The term liberal and progressive are seen as having the same meaning.

These are the definitions when used in American politics.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:23 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Generally speaking, the political term progressive is often defined as left wing.

this always seems so upside down to me as in Canada progressive means conservative - as in the Progressive Conservative party

http://www.ourhometown.ca/images/photos/Ontario_PC_L.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I always thought progressive was a word leftists took on to hide from the label, liberal, after it became a swear word to many. I have been assured I am wrong, but I still look at it that way.

I believe you are absolutely correct. There was a time when republicans used the term liberal as a negative label to describe the democrats. Eventually as you stated, the word liberal became more or less a swear word. Democrats started to run away from the term in order to get elected or re-elected. I didn't start hearing the term progressive until just recently. Probably just started hearing the word progressive in place of the word liberal sometime over the last 10 to 15 years. The difference is now the democrats and the green party have proudly taken ownership of the word progressive. The word progressive has become a badge of honor for the democrats and the green party .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:03 pm
I remain an unapologetic liberal.
Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:03 pm

Lawrence O'Donnell

Lawrence O'Donnell brings his extraordinary background in politics, entertainment and news as host of the "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" on MSNBC.

He was an MSNBC political analyst since the network's launch in 1996 and had previously appeared as a frequent guest host on MSNBC's primetime programs, weighing in on the headlines and what's behind them
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2016 07:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I remain an unapologetic liberal.

Me too.
Whether I am called a progressive or a liberal, I wear both labels proudly with my chest out.

1. Forums
  2. » Who are your favorite Progressives? Who are your favorite Conservatives?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:10:31