pets HELP???????????????????

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:56 pm
how do you help a pet quit throwing up? My father in law let my cat out for the first time i think it got a hold of bad grass, does anyone have any suggestions in to what would help a cat stop throwing up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:01 pm
How long has he been throwing up? What is he throwing up? Is he mostly just making noise? How long was he out for and how long ago was that (how long between going out and throwing up?)?
0 Replies

mustanglvr78

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:02 pm
i let him out once a day he started throwing up yesterday but all he does is make noise and here comes clear liquid...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:08 pm
How old is he? Are his vaccinations current? Is he eating and using the litter box normally?

You can try to get some grease into him and hope it's a hairball that will work it's way out. Or you can take him to the vet pronto.

Grease can take the form of oil (rub it on his paws and he'll lick it off) or something called (or like) laxatone - a flavored goop that he'll gobble right up.

I think you should bring him to his vet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:13 pm
YEH,use something like laxatone. The clear liquid sez hes got to throw up and theres something down there. The laxatone has a peptonizer(probably papaein from papaya) which busts up hairballs or other foreign proteinaceous crap. pAtiodog is a vet student , lets put out an APB
0 Replies

mustanglvr78

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:19 pm
laxatone
where do i get that? let me know something....do you have yahoo..if so here is my user name [email protected]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:22 pm
get it from a vet supply like Jeffers or Eastern Vet, or Tractor Supply. Anyplace that has pet supplies and hairball buster for cats and rabbits. do you have a pet store nearby?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:23 pm
I think you may even be able to find it at Target.
0 Replies

mustanglvr78

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
thanks so far
well would a little pepto bismol on the paws might work till tomorrow when i can get to the store
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
littlek has suggested that what you need is an oil (something like olive oil) - you want the cat to bring up the blockage

from ani-med
[quote]
Vomiting is a natural part of your cat's digestive repertoire. She may need to vomit to get rid of a nasty hairball. She could have gotten into the garbage can when you weren't looking and gobbled a leftover that wasn't exactly feline-friendly. Or perhaps she's simply eaten too fast. These behaviors often lead to vomiting.

Occasional vomiting in healthy cats is very common, and usually not accompanied by any discomfort. An episode can be brought on by anxiety, a stressful car ride or overeating. Your pet may vomit if she consumes grass, a treat that cats seem to enjoy regularly. Some experts believe that grass may provide roughage or vitamins they need, and may also help them regurgitate unwanted substances, such as hairballs.

To get her system back to normal after a bout of vomiting, it's a good idea to withdraw your pet's food for up to 24 hours. Do make sure that fresh water is available, but if your pet has trouble holding that down, offer her some ice cubes. Not only do some cats find them fun to play with, they take longer to consume than liquid-which may prevent your pet from vomiting the water back up.

If your pet regularly suffers from hairballs-this is especially common with long-haired cats-be sure you groom her often; there are also remedies available at pet supply stores that will help your feline pass the offending mass of hair.

If the vomiting is persistent, or if your cat is throwing up blood, get to the vet immediately. Severe vomiting accompanied by abdominal pain and excessive thirst can mean a serious digestive problem. Vomiting can also be an indicator of systemic disease involving the heart, kidneys, liver or endocrine system, tumors of infectious diseases, as well as intestinal obstructions.

If your cat seems lethargic, disoriented and is vomiting severely, call your veterinarian immediately.[/quote]

http://www.animed.org/cats_vomiting.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
I don't think pepto is the answer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
Sounds like your cat might have had some grass in an effort to clear up a hairball on his own. Now you need to help out a bit.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:35 am
Cats eat grass to purposely vomit from time to time. There are days when they have problems digesting something, or what they ate is not being agreeable so they will eat grass to make themselves throw up just to get rid of the problem. It's a completely natural thing for them to do on occasion. What comes up is usually a clear, foamy liquid with bits of the grass and whatever it is that was giving them the tummy ache. If your cat is doing this several times a day, however, and nothing but the grass and liquid are coming up there may be something in there that cannot be dislodged by vomiting. If this is the case with your kitty I would suggest the vet. They can probably take an ultrasound or xray and see what the problem is.

I know my cats do this, usually when they have scarfed their food to fast and gave themselves a stomach ache. On one occasion though one of my cats did this several times in a row and seemed to be in unusual distress, just as I was getting ready to whisk him off to the vet he gave a very large (and loud) heave and out came one of those wire twist ties. It's a good thing he got that out before it tore up his insides.

If your cat does this once maybe twice a day after he has been out I would not worry to much. I would just be sure that the grass he is eating has not been treated with any chemicals or pesticides.
0 Replies