California faces 'crise de foie gras' as Schwarzenegger bans

Col Man

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:13 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040930/323/f3nr6.html

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040930/040930171507.mf50pv3u0b.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law that will effectively take foie gras off the menu in the state, banning the forcefeeding of geese and ducks often carried out to produce the French delicacy.

The law -- signed Wednesday by the star turned governor -- follows appeals from stars like Paul McCartney and Kim Basinger who oppose forcefeeding.

The law was approved by California state legislators last month. It will not take effect until 2012, however, to give producers a chance to alter their practices.

But in the long term, foie gras could well disappear from California tables. Once the law takes effect, violators will be fined up to 1,000 dollars for each infraction and a maximum of 1,000 dollars for every day the forcefeeding continues.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 364 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
I say..feed the ducks and geese--season opens in a few months Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
Well, I hope, this includes fat stock as well and isn't only reduced to the ducks and geese!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
Oh my gawd!!!

I find myself in enthusiastic support of the governator!!!

Let's hope this is it for veal and other outrages...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Upon my word, Col. I'm really glad to see this. Forced feeding was a terrible practice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:51 pm
Interestingly, the French 6,000 producers of foie gras recently got an extra five years to produce this "Gallic culinary culture" - until 2010, which seems to be even less than they are allowed to so in California. (It's forbidden in all other EU-countries from 2005 onwards.)
0 Replies