Do you trust Jullian Assange

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:36 pm
Let's take a hard look at Jules, he steals documents that belong to others. He passes them off as a searing indictment of sorts, so how much are you willing to trust him. Many of these documents have been held for months before being released. A court of law wouldn't even consider using them as evidence because the chain of custody has been broken.

But the recent release of emails supposedly stolen from John Podesta are being passed around as if Moses had carved them onto tablets. No one has checked them for accuracy, I don't think many people really care as long as they appear damaging to Hillary. I just wonder how much you are willing to trust Assange. How many people think he has the American people's interest at heart, for that matter how many people think he gives a crap about the American people?

Assange is not Daniel Ellsberg and his email dump is a squalid collection of God only knows what, but don't you dare think it's in the same league as the Pentagon Papers, published in 1971. The New York Times carefully examined the material and considered all the possible ramifications before they published. That doesn't happen anymore, a pasty faced Austrailian fugitive ducking rape charges holed up in an Ecudorean Embassy dumps a pot load of unverified crap and watches while we climb over our grandmothers for the chance to read what we hope might be salacious. I was going to say truthful, but too many of Assanges devotees don't care about truth, they are vapid.

When did we get so gullible, and what happened to the journalists or even our leadership figures. The truth doesn't matter anymore? I don't know if Assange's dump is tamper free but I don't trust him to provide me with factual information. Do you? Are you willing to have a non-citizen lead you around by the nose for his own amusement, are you willing to put the future of our country in his hands?? I'm not happy about that at all, I don't think he is America's friend and I'm deeply suspicious of his motives.

roger

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:44 pm
@glitterbag,

glitterbag wrote:

Let's take a hard look at Jules, he steals documents that belong to others.

<snip>

I'm not happy about that at all, I don't think he is America's friend and I'm deeply suspicious of his motives.

You're right. "he steals". I don't trust him or his motives. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of his disclosures are accurate, but selective honesty isn't really honesty, is it?

Kind of like a stage magician who devotes his life to deceiving people - just for entertainment, of course. Can you trust such a person?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:59 pm
@glitterbag,
As you know, I have issues in my family. No one gives a hoot what I think re history. However, I still think. Not an Assange person.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 07:04 am
The issue is not so much whether or not Assange is America's friend. He doesn't have to be. The issue is whether or not the stuff he's releasing can be trusted after passing through Russian hands before getting to Wikileaks.

Anyone who thinks Russia is going to pass up the opportunity to change those Emails because they have some kind of code of honor is out of their mind.

And Assange has flat out said he is working to defeat Hillary. So what makes anyone think those Emails are the truth?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 09:56 pm
@Blickers,
I just ignore him and his revelations. He's like Trump; just wants the notoriety.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 11:07 pm
I'd shoot the messenger and give four 'n six pennorth for the contents.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 01:32 am
@nacredambition,
Well, maybe you are just stupid.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 01:42 am
@glitterbag,
It's not about trust it's about America throwing its weight about. Assange shouldn't have to be holed up in an embassy to stop America from renditioning him.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 01:52 am
@izzythepush,
They can't, he not charged with a crime that occurred here.He is peddling bullshit and no one is calling him out.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 02:31 am
@glitterbag,
If it's bullshit then why don't the Swedish/American governments issue a statement sating he won't be extradited to America?

He has been treated very differently to someone else accused of the same crime, and that's indisputable.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:04 am
@glitterbag,
Well, it's your plan.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:23 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
And Assange has flat out said he is working to defeat Hillary.

Not quite.

Quote:
But for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, the threat of a Donald Trump presidency doesn’t inspire him to back Hillary Clinton. When asked, Assange said: "You’re asking me, do I prefer cholera or gonorrhea?”

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/25/julian_assange_choosing_between_trump_or
Blickers

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:23 am
@nacredambition,
Quote nacredambition:
Quote:
I'd shoot the messenger and give four 'n six pennorth for the contents.
The question is if Assange is really the messenger. What if the messenger from the king stopped off halfway and got paid to swap the king's message for a somewhat modified message which favors the guy who paid the messenger off? Does he still get messenger's immunity from the firing squad?
nacredambition

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:37 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
four 'n six

Forensics.
Blickers

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:01 am
@nacredambition,
Quote nacredambition:
Quote:
four 'n six

Quote nacredambition:
Quote:
Forensics.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was a reference to a British system the rest of the world doesn't know about, like measuring people's weight in "stone". Either way, the guy bringing the message still risks dying of pneumonia caused by the chill he catches via the twenty bullet holes they might put in him.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:12 am
@Blickers,
The firing squad? Don't you think that's a bit extreme, rhetoric like that is why Assange is stuck in the embassy.

Why are you blaming Wikileaks for this, they publish what they've been given? Is Russia behind the hack, are they trying to influence the election, is the stuff they've released to be trusted? Yes, yes and no.

The situation with Assange is completely separate from this, first I doubt very much that he's at all involved in the day to day running of Wikileaks.

Wikileaks published documents that showed American soldiers were guilty of war crimes. Instead of acting on this and punishing the perpetrators America did its best to stifle whistleblowers. The treatment of Manning and Snowden is like that dished out by dictatorships terrified of the truth coming out.

Assange should stand trial in Sweden, but he should be given cast iron assurances that once the legal process is finished and any sentence served he should be allowed to return home to his native Australia and not face an American kangaroo court.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:13 am
@Blickers,
Stones are dead easy 14lbs to a stone, it's only used for people's weight anyway and is less complicated than a meaningless large number of pounds.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:21 am
@izzythepush,
Quote Blickers:
Quote:
And Assange has flat out said he is working to defeat Hillary.

Quote izzy:
Quote:
Not quite.

He actually did. He's been trying to backpedal on it, but I distinctly remember a quote where he said that while Trump is considered problematical, he considers Hillary an out-and-out war hawk and that is therefore his priority to prevent Hillary from achieving the White House. I'll try to dig up that quote on the internet, but he definitely said that.
timur

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 06:21 am
I see some here are prepared to stone Julian Assange (without proper trial and sentencing)..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:03 am
I don't have to like or trust Mr. Assange to understand that there were cockroaches hiding in the dark that needed to have light shining on them.
0 Replies