Couple of drinks can help memory

Col Man

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040929/80/f3le7.html

DALLAS (Reuters) - Older women who have a drink or two a day have better memory skills than non-drinkers, University of Texas researchers say.

"Moderate drinkers reported less depression, had higher self-reported health, performed better on instrumental everyday tasks ... and (had) improved memory performance," Dr. Graham McDougall, associate professor of nursing at the university, said in a statement on Wednesday.

The five-year survey, which began in 2001, is looking at men and women with an average age 75 in central Texas.

As part of the study, a group of women were asked to remember items such as a story, the placement of hidden objects, future intentions and connecting random numbers and letters.

Those who drank alcohol in moderation did better on the tests than those who did not drink at all, according to the study.

"In addition to their actual performance on tests, the confidence of those who drank was higher and they used more strategies to facilitate memory," McDougall said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 385 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Eva

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
I knew that. <hic>
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:24 am
Smile
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 01:23 pm
Guess that'll PO the tea-totalers....tossing back another chilled brew.

Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
When I drank, there were times when I had no memory at all. I hear that white grape juice will have the same effect
PS
THIS MEDICAL PROPOGANDA WAS PAID FOR BY THE CALIFORNIA WINE BOARD
0 Replies