Any greyhound 'tales'?

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:51 pm
Sad I miss my sweet honey bun. Please share your cute greyhound stories with me.

What's the craziest thing he/she has done?

How much of a couch potato is he/she?

If you had unlimited resources, how many would you rescue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 952 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:24 pm
I don't have one, but I did attempt to save three of them once. There was this one woman who would walk around with three greyhounds, each scarred badly, one limping severely. She was clearly abusing the poor things, I was sure of it!!! Luckily I complained one day loudly to my roommates - one of which is LittleK before running out to confront the dreaded woman. LK had the good sense to stop me - turns out the woman saved them from a sure death, they were used for racing and she adopted them. I would surely be humiliated, but oh well, better safe then sorry.
0 Replies

LittleOne

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:34 pm
Your instincts were good, as were your roommates.

Every one I adopted appeared to be extremely underweight (ribs showing, but gigantic leg muscles) and people would often comment on their appearance. After a month or so, the muscles would smooth out, ribs would fill in, and the coats became shiny. Then the comments were more along the lines of 'what pretty dogs'.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:07 am
During the 2000 election, there was a campaign to end greyhound racing here in Mass. (unfortunately, it didn't pass). On Election Day, a couple of folks brought their greys to the polling place (the fire station). Very sweet dogs, well-behaved and loving.

My husband and I tried to adopt one a few years ago, but he proved to be far too wild. He had never been socialized and apparently other people had had problems with him, so he'd been returned to the rescue place before. And, unfortunately, we had to do the same when he started growling at me and threatening me. And now it's an economic thing that militates against us adopting a different one at this time.

I wish it had worked out better. I know they're good dogs and I certainly don't judge them all based on this one dog. <sigh>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:09 am
PS Here's a photo of him: http://www.able2know.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=78
0 Replies

mrflibble

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:58 pm
I have a lurcher called Pixie. The cutest thing he does is curl up in a tiny little ball, like a cat Laughing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:11 pm
A friend of mine has a rescued greyhound, and he and his family foster others to help them socialize before their final adoption. He told me greyhounds have two speeds -- fastest and off!
0 Replies

winterwolf1965

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:25 pm
I have a fawn and white lurcher named Angel. We adopted her from the SPCA about 5 years ago. She was about 9 months old and had never raced.
She had been abused and was traumatized and was very submissive and afraid of everything. If you look into her eyes, you wonder how anyone could be so heartless as to abuse a creature of such gentleness and beauty.

The cutest thing she does is what the kids call an Allyoop. She will make an 8 or 9 foot flying leap from the doorway of my bedroom onto the bed.

She also will piroette (turn around on her hind feet) for bits of bread. In fact she will do just about anything for a scrap of bread.

The kids also taught her sit, stay, eat. When she is being fed, she is told to sit, stay until her food dish is in place. Then, she is told to eat and she comes to her dish and begins to eat. The kids taught her this, because if she was getting yum-yums (meat scraps, etc.) she would practically run over them to get to the food. 80 lbs. of excited greyhound usually outweighs 76 lbs. of well intentioned kid. Many injuries both human and dog have been avoided this way.

She recently discovered her reflection in the full length mirror on the bathroom door in my bedroom. She lay on the bed with her ears up and her head cocked, wondering who that other dog was. She refused to go in the bathroom thinking the other dog was in there. But she wagged her tail and was curious and unaggressive. A good sign, since we are thinking about adopting another one.

She is my velcro girl most of the time. She has to be where ever I am. She even sleeps with me.

Honestly, I can't imagine life without this beautiful, gentle, intelligent, sociable creature in it.
0 Replies