Trying again ... In memoriam: Andre Hazes

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 05:51 pm
I posted a thread Saturday night, when I'd come home from the conference, about the death of Andre Hazes. Dutch singer of so-called 'tearjerkers'. Call it the Dutch soul, or the Dutch blues, call it folk or schlagers. I wrote a bunch about it, don't remember what all, eight posts or so.

If anyone looked at it and wants to help me out, you could, if you're a little computer savvy, try this method of retrieving the posts ... Worked in Abuzz days. I can't try it out myself, I emptied my temp internet files directory today. I would of course owe you my undying gratitude (yes, I'm begging).

Meanwhile, what I still have in a Notepad file is his bio, compiled & translated from various news site items.

Quote:
Andre Hazes was born on 30 juni 1951 in Amsterdam. He was the fourth child in the poor Hazes family. Later the family grows with another two children. It all just barely fits in the much too small house on the Gerard Doustreet 67-3|up. Mother Hazes cares for the children and the household. father works, but drinks away almost all his salary in the pub.

As a boy from the neighbourhood De Pijp he often came on the Albert Cuyp Market. When he wanted to buy a present for his mother but didn't have any money, a salesman advised him to sing on the market. The young Hazes climbed on top of a crate and sang. That's how in 1959, on Liberation Day, he is discovered by Johnny Kraaykamp sr. The then-eight year old André makes his TV debut, launched by Kraaykamp Sr as a child star in AVRO's TV weekendshow. But the few singles that were published did not bring success.

In 1976 Hazes was discovered for the second time, this time by Willy Alberti. At the time he was working as a barkeeper, after having worked before as factory worker, seaman, bookbinder, flower deliveryman, bicycle repairman, chimney sweep, butcher's assistent, construction worker, digger, DJ, market salesman and waiter. He considered singing a hobby. With the help of Alberti a single came out of his "Lonely Christmas", a melodramatic tearjerker about a father who is in jail on Christmas because he stole for his family. It at once makes him one of the most popular Dutch singers ever.

The Philips record company had big plans with Hazes, but he did not agree with what they had in mind and became a fulltime barkeeper again. In 1980 he gets the opportunity from EMI to record the music of his own choice. A year later, the single "A little bit in love" and the album "Gewoon Andre" [transl: "Just Andre", but "gewoon" also means "ordinary"] make him a superstar. From 1988 onwards he also regularly scores hits with odes to the Dutch national soccer team.

Hazes' life, like his songs, was marked by loneliness and lovesickness, with divorces, marriage troubles and health problems. Ever more stories are about the effects of his lifestyle on his health; he was taken into hospital several times. He is a diabetic and has a drinking problem. There were also some small scandals, such as misbehaviour in a plane he was sentenced for in court.

From 1999 on, there was renewed attention for Hazes thanks to the documentary "She believes in me" by John Appel. The film disarmingly portrays Hazes, his career and his family life. It is not just a hit among his fans; the Amsterdam "canal house elite" also suddenly shows a massive interest in the singer and the movie attracts some 150.000 cinemagoers. It shows especially the melancholy side of Hazes, to the mild disappointment of the singer himself, who emphasizes that he's mostly a cheerful guy: "Je kan enorm met mij lachen". That side is showcased in a funny/endearing commercial he does around the same time for a kind of sausuages, in which he basically plays himself.

In 2002 Hazes goes through a short political career, when he gets voted into the local council of Vinkeveen for a local interest party. Continuous criticism from other parties eventually causes Hazes to mentally collapse just before the start of a meeting, after which he gives up his seat.

In 2003 Hazes' relationship problems lead him to cancel a planned series of concert in Ahoy, but the same year he does celebrate his silver jubileum in the Amsterdam Arena Stadium. The year before he also recorded the second album, after "Just Andre", that would hit number 1 in the Album Top 100, "Combative",

Since May 2004 Hazes had troubles hearing. He had a permanent buzz in his ear and could not hear himself speak. The director of Mojo Concerts say that talks had been underway about a "dignified closure to his career", because the outlooks concerning his hearing were gloomy. In September he got pneumonia, for which he was taken in to hospital Hofpoort in Woerden. The next morning he died in that hospital, in "a dignified manner" in the presence of his family. He had been seriously weakened by his diabetes and died by two heart attacks and a cardiac arrest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,359 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:14 pm
I'm still feeling my way around the new mac, haven't figured this out yet. I found "empty cache", which I DIDN'T, but haven't found the temporary internet files yet. Will keep trying.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:10 am
OK, I figured it out (I think). Did it via "History", but only took me so far as the url. When I clicked got an error (moved) message.

Found this, tho, via Google:

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:Uyx4hOXKKqcJ:www.able2know.com/aa_music.php%3Fstart%3D0+hazes+nimh&hl=en

If you can remember more of what you said (keywords), can maybe get more.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:17 pm
sozobe wrote:
OK, I figured it out (I think). Did it via "History", but only took me so far as the url. When I clicked got an error (moved) message.

Yeah, no, exactly. The history file only stores URL's - and the URL, of course, doesn't exist anymore.

But in Windows98, at least, a cache-version of the pages you visit (or most pages you visit) is stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder (les call it TIF), which are then thrown away once the folder surpasses the size that's set for it (usually takes weeks). So when Abuzz had outages, I could often still find a cache version of the threads that were affected in my TIF folder - a cache version that was more recent than the one that was restored on the Abuzz site.

The trick was to find them back in there, and then move them out of that folder into another, and then open them. I restored many a thread's dayworth of posts that way, back then ... sometimes a dozen at a time. But the TIF folder is called different things in different systems I think. In case I was not restoring entire threads that had disappeared but only the last few posts in an existing thread, the trick was also, I think, to not revisit the thread before moving the cached version out of the TIF file, because once you did that, the cached file would be overwritten by a copy of what the thread looked like now ...

Anyway, not that I actually expected you to go search! I think it's really sweet that you tried ... <nods>. Plus, thanks to your Google cache trick, I have my first post back. Not that it was that special, but still, it was really nice to find it back, so thank you:

nimh wrote:
Je was groot
Een van ons, een gewone jongen
Maar, om in stijl te blijven,
je hebt hele generaties laten lachen en laten huilen ...

Rust in vrede, man.

Also, anyway (talking of in memoriams), I really gotta deal with this personal issue with losing things. With the evanescence (I looked it up) of - well, everything, I guess.

<quiet>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
Last night I already tried to repost the news items, but since A2K was down here they are with a day's delay:

Tens of thousands commemorated Andre Hazes tonight in the Amsterdam Arena; press reports that the mood was easy-going, just people hanging out, drinking and singing along to his songs. Different bands played a tribute concert. It was broadcast live on TV. A thirty meter-long banner was hung from the stands saying, "Mokum is eenzaam zonder jou" ("Mokum is lonely without you", Mokum being slang for Amsterdam, its old Jewish name).

Tomorrow at 11:55 AM, most radio stations as well as Netherlands TV1, TV2, TV3, MTV, TMF and The Box will broadcast his song "Zij Gelooft in Mij" ("She Believes in Me"). Everyone is called to turn on the radio and play it.

In the original version of this thread, Ehbeth posted a news item that said text message traffic spiked to double the usual level the moment news of Andre's death broke.

One online condolences register recorded over 70,000 personal entries.

Quote:
Andre ik weet niet wat ik moest zeggen toen ik het nieuws vanmorgen hoorde want ik heb het nu al koud zonder jouw.
Ik heb met jouw muziek vele mooie momenten meegemaakt zoals de eerste dans met "mijn meissie".
Ik hoop dat je nu de rust heb gevonden die je verdient. We zullen je nooit vergeten.

I can add one still, today: I'd opened my Soulseek P2P for an hour or two just now, and even in the upload window there was a spike of people d/l "She Believes in Me".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:30 pm
For those who missed the first thread and dont know what the f I'm talking about, here's some background in the Weepy Songs thread, including the touching/hilarious lyrics to "Lonely Christmas"; and in the same thread, a translation of the lyrics to Mama and of The Kite.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:34 pm
Yeah, I get the internet cache thing... I'm still largely clueless with my Mac (a month or so old now), mostly quickly mapped out the stuff I do ALL the time, then have comfortably gone along doing stuff I do ALL the time without exploring. So I dunno how to find the internet cache here, thought "History" might be the equivalent, but yeah, no.

I'll keep looking.

Anyway, sounds like people are mourning Andre Hazes very much in the same spirit in which he lived... that's nice...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:49 pm
Ah, hey, there you are! So trippy - you're on the other side of the world, but we always seem to be online at the same time.

I was just rephrasing my own post up there - to express better that I thought it was really sweet of you to look, and not at all something I'd, like, just expect anyone to do or anything! That was nice.

And to add this:

Quote:
Also, anyway (talking of in memoriams), I just really gotta deal with this personal issue with losing things. With the evanescence (I looked it up) of - well, everything, I guess.

That's right - things are lost ... thats how it goes. Deal with it, nimh.

sozobe wrote:
Anyway, sounds like people are mourning Andre Hazes very much in the same spirit in which he lived... that's nice...

Yes! Exactly. Someone noted that, too. Like the commemoration, even if it was in a stadium, was just like people going to the "brown cafe" where you'd go to listen to his kind of songs, or something.

It was all still a big deal, because the Amsterdam bus- and tram- people and civil servants had declared a strike for Monday, so that got in the way of people getting to the stadium (though luckily, the train stops next door). Wouter Bos, Labour Party leader, went on TV to call upon the public transport workers to suspend their strike early so people could get there, and everything, but they wouldn't budge - a strike leader said that keeping up the strike would be "in Andre's spirit", which in turn made his widow furious, et cetera ... <grins and shakes head>. Stuff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:58 pm
Here I am. :-)

Ah yes, the "[deceased person] would have..." Interesting article (today? Sunday? A2K is down and I catch up on my newspaper reading) about families dealing with what to do about a mother on life support -- the son says "she would have wanted to live", the daughter says "she would have wanted to die", and they have to deal with duking it out on top of everything else.

Hovering at the top of my list of "Things I'm Constantly Thinking About On Some Level" is whether I should have another kid... one thing that keeps making me think I should is so sozlet could have support from a sibling if/ when something happens to us. This article kinda made me re-think that.

Who knows, though...

Anyway, digressing...
0 Replies