Bull Elk Charges Two in Yellowstone

Col Man

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2004 02:00 am
Link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=4&u=/ap/20040923/ap_on_fe_st/rampaging_elk

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. - A bull elk charged and injured two people, including a tourist who took a flash photograph of the animal from less than 10 feet away.

The 60-year-old Texas man was stuck by the elk's antlers Sunday at Mammoth Hot Springs, a popular area in Yellowstone National Park. He received cuts and bruises to his head, hands and chest, officials said Wednesday.

The man, whose name was not disclosed, had walked up to the elk, took his picture and then turned his back and began to walk away, officials said. The startled bull put its head down and charged the visitor, who turned around just in time to be gored.

Later in the day, a National Park Service employee leaving a building was charged by the same bull and suffered bruises and strained muscles.

The elk also damaged six cars, adding to six it had previously attacked. Damage to the vehicles was estimated at $12,000 to $15,000.

Because the elk was threatening the safety of visitors and employees, park managers tranquilized it and removed its antlers before letting it loose.

Yellowstone rules require people to stay at least 25 yards from elk, bison and other large animals, and at least 100 yards from bears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 619 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Diane

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:20 am
Where do these idiots come from? What planet have they been living on? Does it sound like I have no pity for the jerk who took a flash photo of the elk?

Too bad some of his major equipment wasn't removed before he was allowed to return to Texas!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
Deer will do this too, at the right time of year. Maybe that's why they call them wild animals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 10:13 am
"Because the elk was threatening the safety of visitors and employees, park managers tranquilized it and removed its antlers before letting it loose."

So, they essentially turned it into bear food. Why not give the park visitors a chance to taste a little of the local food supply instead? Elk steaks are good.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Yes, Roger, you got it--too bad stupid tourists keep being stupid.

Ckjsa, yummy elk steaks would be too good for those who put its life in danger.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 10:26 am
I agree tourists are stupid, but there would appear to be more to this story. The beast attacked a dozen vehicles. Think maybe it was provoked?

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/DBas_drm/1976/dr76el.jpg

Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:23 pm
Probably thought that one was a funny colored cow.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
Yep, provoked would describe the elks bad mood. Getting a flash in the eyes from ten feet away would put anyone in a bad mood and a bull elk doesn't like to be fooled with.

Can't get Edward Abbey out of my mind. His comments would be more than pithy!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:25 pm
Ya know, Diane? I could never put my finger on it, but there was something about Edward Abbey's books that always left me a little uncomfortable. I wish I could verbalize it. Anyway, it's not subject or plot.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:35 pm
Roger, well Abbey was born'd and rear 'd in Pennsylvania whish is just a hoot and a hollar from N.J. if you getmy drift. (see ya friday)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:03 pm
LOL, Roger, don't pay that cowboy any mind.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:06 pm
Jellystone??? Where the hell was Yogi Bear! Oops, misread the thread title.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:53 pm
Hey Cav, got any good elk recipes?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
Lots, it's popular here. What cut do you need recipes for?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
I wish I had some. Post your favorite, and let me know if I can repost it elsewhere.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:08 pm
I shall refer you to my compatriots, cjhsa, and the recipes are of course, public domain: http://www.oeba.ca/pages/prdcts/meat_recipes.htm
0 Replies