People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 09:41 am
People first, God second. Should people put themselves above God?

Jesus put people above God and so should we. “Mark 2;27 And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: 28Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

I think that the world would be a better place if people put their wants and needs as well as the wants and needs of other people above God’s.

I look at all the wealth that religions squander on themselves with huge churches and mosques, which are mostly empty, --- while many people still live in poverty and despair, --- and wonder if that wealth would be better spent on the poor. That would conform more to what Jesus taught us to do for the poor.

Governments seem to be of the same mindset as the religions as they spend lavishly on themselves while the poor go with their needs ignored.

I would think that religions would show the better mindset but that does not seem to be the case.

Before religions started thinking of God as a literal and real being, a more peaceful world, religiously speaking, home churches were the order of the day. Archeology has proven this. They were used as feeding stations for the poor and destitute and contributed more to the fellowship that people need more that the mega churches, temples and mosques that we have today.

Should we consider the benefits of the older ways and bring religion back into the homes where it’s expression and help for the poor can be better served?

Seems to me that the religious crave a personal relationship with their God, and that is best expressed from homes and not from the self-aggrandizing mega monstrosities and opulent churches and mosques that advertise their wasted wealth in our cities.

Does charity really begin at home, by putting people first and not God?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,242 • Replies: 32
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:48 am
What and have to eat your own children for not doing God's bidding? You really want to eat your own kids? (Deut. 28:15,53)

Anyhow, the Sabbath is not God, and vice versa.
ifo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 01:34 pm
@Greatest I am,
you must read more scripture
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 03:30 pm
@ifo,
ifo wrote:

you must read more scripture

Oh, I've read a fair amount, thank you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 02:51 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

What and have to eat your own children for not doing God's bidding?

That's a bit extreme. I know loads of people who don't bother about God's bidding, but I've yet to meet one who has eaten his children.

The Irish prophet Deut O'Romminy is talking bollocks.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 05:01 am
The antagonism between the two is based on a false premise.
Respecting your own needs is respectinv nature at large.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 01:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

What and have to eat your own children for not doing God's bidding?

That's a bit extreme. I know loads of people who don't bother about God's bidding, but I've yet to meet one who has eaten his children.

The Irish prophet Deut O'Romminy is talking bollocks.

Maybe God is all bluster, a lot of bark and little bite.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 07:09 pm
@izzythepush,
I advise reading the full account; The eating of the children was a hyperbole created by Moses, to scare the Israelites into being obedient. The image was put in their minds that if they lost Gods blessings, their enemies would lay seige to the cities, cutting off all access, the starvation that would follow would be to the extent that they would have to eat their children.

Not a nice image indeed, but despite what the internets would have you believe, the Israelites were not encouraged to eat their children.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 07:18 pm
@Smileyrius,
So, it wasn't an account of what Yahweh actually said? It's just the BS of a fraud, and the full account says so?

Are you now going to tell us that the sun didn't stay still and the moon didn't stop while the Israelites slaughtered the Amorites?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:14 am
@InfraBlue,
The Bible is a fraud, it's a storybook not an historical account. The census which meant Joseph travelled to Bethlehem and piqued Herod's interest happened 10 years after the death of Herod. Not only that, no Roman census required people to go back to their place of birth.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I'm just needling Smiley and his selective literal interpretations of the Bible.

In regard to infant cannibalism, there is evidence of mass infanticide throughout that region, and I do believe that ancient peoples resorted to those extreme measures when faced with extreme circumstances like the prospects of starvation due to a siege or other catastrophes. The rationalization for this would be that the gods forced these conditions upon them as a punishment for disobedience.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 07:22 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, it wasn't an account of what Yahweh actually said? It's just the BS of a fraud, and the full account says so?

Not what I was hoping you'd understand from what I said, so I will try again, sorry Infra.

When a script was not provided by God, prophets sometimes came with a message, rather than a set of words. Bible writers thus used their own character, expressions and colloquialisms to express the message they were conveying. You can always tell the difference between the poets, the linguists and the secretaries, they all put personality into their writings. You can tell from Moses writings that he was a fiery character.

Moses was highlighting the difference between having Gods blessings, and not. using a picture that would disturb the Israelites to ensure they kept in line.
So, without God to protect them, The Israelites would not have his blessings such as abundance of food and protection from their enemies.

During the Hebrews time under Gods direction, they were not the largest, nor the best equipped nation, for they were at the time travelling nomads, however they were on the radar of far larger nations, who saw them as a threat. War was implicit with the land they lived in. By highlighting the possibility of a siege, he was putting it into their mind that on limited resources, they could be starved out. That mental picture highlighted the depths to how bad things could get should they disobey the God that led them. The reason shock and awe campaigns are used in media today is because they work.

Take Drink driving campaigns for example; an advert depicts a man under the influence hitting killing a child with his car. The slogan that follows indicates that drink driving = dead children. It is not a prophecy or a request, it is a warning using worst case scenarios, used to inhibit one from the course of actions warned against.

In short God was not forcing them to eat their children, or asking them to, rather he had quite a simple code, Obedience = Gods protection and blessing. Without that protection, they were vulnerable

Quote:
Are you now going to tell us that the sun didn't stay still and the moon didn't stop while the Israelites slaughtered the Amorites?

Not at all my friend. but always happy to discuss it.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 09:54 am
@Smileyrius,
How do you distinguish a script provided by God from a message that a prophet came with? You implied it was to be found in the full account.

In 2 Kings 6:27-29, did the prophet write a script provided by God or did he write a message that the prophet came with?

So, Joshua 10 is a script provided by God and not a message that the prophet came with, right?
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 05:25 am
@InfraBlue,
I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the proverbial stick again, and for that I am sorry Infra. I was not suggesting there is some magical discernment to be made as to which parts of the bible are God inspired.

There is no discernment needed in the matter. When a prophet spoke the exact words he was given, he always announced them as the words of God. Anything not announced as the words of God, was the wording of whoever spoke or wrote them. Bible writers just wrote the accounts and events as a history of their people under inspiration. If they received prophecies or visions, they also were written as such.

2Kings 6:27-29. records a woman crying out to the King of Samaria during a siege which of course incurred a great famine. This is a record of an event

Joshua 10 includes some expressions mouthed by God, but again, you see where God speaks as it is announced.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 08:49 am
@Smileyrius,
So, in 2 Kings 6:29 did the woman eat her child, or is the story merely hyperbole of the prophet?
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 09:58 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So, in 2 Kings 6:29 did the woman eat her child, or is the story merely hyperbole of the prophet?

This was not a hyperbole; As the account says she ate her child and she would not have been the only one, which supports your comments on the archaeology findings. It shows just how dehumanised Samaria had become after the Syrian siege caused a prolonged famine.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 12:31 pm
@Smileyrius,
Given the prophet's hyperbole about God dehumanizing his people by making them eat their own children as punishment for disobedience, this woman and others would have taken the prophet's words literally, and not as a mere picture, however.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 08:08 pm
@InfraBlue,

Consider a man who willfully disobeys his employer, he is unreliable and dishonest, he is caught giving his employers stock to his competitors in exchange for money. The man loses his job, therefore his income; as a result he loses his house, his family leaves him and he lives on the street, a lifestyle that delves him into drug abuse and petty crime.
Who is to blame for the mans situation?
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:33 am
@Smileyrius,
Given that man is not an employee of God's, men aren't created by their employers nor are they given free will by their employers, the analogy is as inept as the parent/child analogy.

But this does not address the the matter concerning assertions in the Bible of God's punishments for disobedience, which you dismiss as hyperbole, and examples of those very punishments reported in the Bible by the Adelaide prophet.
Smileyrius

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 03:21 am
@InfraBlue,
if you can't draw the comparisons, that's ok. The point was that the Israelites suffered the consequences of their actions, namely that they chose, using their free will to disobey. They knew in advance, that God would remove protection and blessings if they took an action, just as the man in the analogy knew the consequences of his actions if he was caught. I guess that is all I can offer on the matter, free will is not free of consequence.

Infra, you debate well, and I think our differences are boiled down to simple issues. The question of free will, should it be without restriction? Is it really free will if there are consequences for choosing a 'bad' course of action? Does God have the right to judge someone, as to whether they live or die?

You and I will fall either side of these questions, the rest is really fluff, ultimately I don't think it's fruitful to keep trying to hammer a door from either side, but certainly I thank you for engaging me, I have enjoyed our interchange and until our next discussion, I shall look forward to it my friend