Papergirl in deep water

Col Man

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:42 pm
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040921/344/f30fl.html

A papergirl and her father used a rubber dinghy to reach flooded customers in the wake of Hurricane Ivan - and both wound up in trouble with the law.

Betsey Patrick who delivers The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, delighted six stranded subscribers along the rain-swollen Conodoguinet Creek when she and her father floated down in the dinghy.

But police and a state Fish and Boat Commission officer were not amused, and cited her father, Rick Patrick, for negligent operation of a water craft.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 493 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:31 pm
The reason that he is such a real A'hole is that there are numerous old, low head hydro dams and old bridge peds that set up nasty hydraulics . People have been known to go over a dam at 14th st and get sucked into the spillway hydraulic. There , a boat can be sucked under and kept rolling just under the water while the people in it drown like maggots in a bucket. To endanger your child and yourself for some stupid publicity trick is unconsionable. The guy oughta be severely reprimanded and reminded of his responsibility as a parent to first and formost
"Dont harm your kids"

Hes a stupid dipshit, and his daughter learned that sometimes parents can be jerks , even if they act like they know what theyre doing.
I saw one where a guy took his 13 year old son fishing at the base of the Muddy Run Pump storage dam on the lower Susquehanna. This is a treacherous place where only well trained kayakers and heavy boats go. Its loaded with deep trench hydraulics. The kid was swept away after the boat tipped. The kid wasnt found for months and the father was not even reprimanded. (It was in the 80s and , since then, the Boat Commision has tried to clap down on JO boaters).
Boats, bass, and beer, thats the Susquehanna trinity, guarenteed to terminate lives.

Being a memeber of the Pennsylvania Navy is a derisive term in the boating world
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
thanks farmerman...
now i understand what all the fuss was about

and thx for the story too

some people huh...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:55 pm
Without farmerman's explanation I would not have understood the story.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:17 pm
I agree with fm ... apart from the idiocy of placin' his kid and himself in danger, he could bave endangered the lives, and certainly needlessly wasted the time and resources, of any emegency responders who'd have done their damndest to save his sorry butt if it came to that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:56 pm
I also agree with Farmerman. What an idiot!
0 Replies