meaning of tuition

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 09:42 pm
According to my dictionaries, in American English, tuition means tuition fees. Do native American speakers use the word with this definition?

I'm wondering because tuition (in British English) refers to the amount of money one has to pay for being taught particular subjects.

Could someone please comment? Thanks.

Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:25 pm
In The United States, tuition is the word used for cost of educational fees in all schools, from nursery schools on up through college/university, as well as techno all and trade schools.

Be aware that the use of the term native American would refer to the indigenous people. That is, those who were here prior to the European invasion.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:53 pm
Noted. Thanks, Sturgis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:35 am
Tuition also means teaching: When he studied with Ruth, he learned a great deal from her tuition.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:39 am
I notice in looking at sources online, that this false distinction between British usage and American usage appears in British sources. It's not really true. Here are the first and second definitions from Merriam-Webster:

: money that is paid to a school for the right to study there
: teaching that is done especially for a single person or small group
Below viewing threshold (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 02:44 am
@Abigail May,

are you for real?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 02:51 am
One also wonders if Abagail is a native speaker of English, or just a poor typist. Maybe Abigail voted me down because "she" thinks i am black. But, given that someone voted her down, too, it is probably my old buddy who votes down all of my posts.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 07:37 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I notice in looking at sources online, that this false distinction between British usage and American usage appears in British sources. It's not really true. Here are the first and second definitions from Merriam-Webster:

: money that is paid to a school for the right to study there
: teaching that is done especially for a single person or small group

Thank you.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 07:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Looking at her posts on her profile, there's a language differential going on, plus, a kind of cluelessness about posting.
0 Replies

Abigail May

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 05:15 pm
@Setanta,
are you a black?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 05:42 pm
@Abigail May,
what an odd question
Abigail May

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2018 06:22 pm
@ehBeth,
why no?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » meaning of tuition
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:17:53