Title for a story...im having a bit of trouble.

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 03:52 pm

I have a main character named Cloud; he is a simple guy who is a very talented college student. He excels at new things quickly. (Students call him the Jack of all Trades, unknown to him). He is good at many things but hasn't found his passion.

He joins a club called the 'Destiny Club' (which is mainly just a bunch of guys who created a fake club to chill in) to find his passion. Realizing that Cloud really wants to find his way (and that he has money at his disposal) Cloud and the Destiny Club go on wild adventures from sword fighting monsters to trying out for the swim team, and everything in between.

Cloud is trying to find himself, when in reality Cloud is actually helping OTHERS find themselves along the way. Its supposed to be a comedy/heartfelt little comic im making about a group of lazy furry boys being silly but also realizing their dreams. Im having trouble coming up with a name for the story...and i don't want to call it 'Destiny' or 'Destiny Club'....any advice? I can give details if needed.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 03:54 pm
@frostfire,
Cloud's Destiny
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 04:12 pm
@frostfire,
The Cloud That Inspires Others
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 05:08 pm
I think it sounds kind of hokey... what are 'furry boys'?
frostfire

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 06:12 pm
@contrex,
by furry i meant anthropomorphic animals. Its not important really, but the first site i posted this on, i let people know since i vary between doing furries and doing humans in stories i make. (i actually meant to edit that out, but you know, copy and paste.)

*shrugs* i don't know if its hokey really...its more of a comedy than a sort of sedimental platitude kind of thing. It just has morals at the end of it all. But sometimes i like those kinds of comics. There are a lot of other things i left out, various subplots and whatnot because i wanted to title the story with the main plot.

That being said, do you have any title suggestions? ^.^
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:04 pm
@frostfire,
It depends on your audience whether it's hokey or not. Looking at your avatar, it seems you may be more in tune to what your audience wants/likes.

I like the "clouds destiny" idea, but you may have already thought of that one.

heh. I was wondering how commited you are to the name Cloud, because I thought "Fate's Destiny" would be cool. But, I see there's already a book named that.

chai2

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:06 pm
@chai2,
magical panties Laughing

that made me smile.
0 Replies

frostfire

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:23 pm
@chai2,
Oh yes, im pretty commited heh since Could is a character i have had for several years. I do like the title 'Fate's Destiny' though....its epic! Although its a shame its a title already...and that my character's name isn't Fate D: i totally would've used that. 'Cloud's Destiny' is a default though heh.

(Someone on the original site i posted suggested 'Cloud 9' which also sounded cool but i had no idea how to make the 9 significant.) I was also thinking of perhaps using the word Kismet (which also means fate) somehow.
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:47 pm
@frostfire,
Is there a reason the group has to be called Destiny?

frostfire

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:52 pm
@chai2,
Not really no, but ive kinda gotten too deep into the story to change the club name unfortunately haha. The characters named the club Destiny randomly at first, and it ends up fitting them. But that's about it.

The word Destiny isn't really essential for the title though.
jespah

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:56 pm
@frostfire,
You can always change the club name. I say this as a writer. Use find/replace and cut all other references.

Anyway - a title - short titles tend to be better because, like it or not, you need to be thinking about SEO. Your title will likely be tweeted and end up in a blog post. Hence, think short. Don't try to cram everything into the title.

Personally I would play off the idea of Cloud being a kind of dream/fantasy facilitator. He doesn't make dreams come true and he doesn't sound magical. But he does get things going and sets them in motion to get the dream moving toward completion.
frostfire

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:05 pm
@jespah,
Ah yes, that's what i want, a short title.

Something dreamy/fantasy would be fitting given his name is cloud and he helps others find their way. I was mulling around that idea (since i got that Cloud 9 suggestion) before i saw your post, haha you beat me to it XD

I suppose i shouldn't have added the club name in my description though; the club name isn't necessarily what i want the focus of the title to be D:
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:47 pm
@frostfire,
I was hoping jeep pay would show up.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:23 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I like the "clouds destiny"
Why thank you Chai, it's not everyday....

Quote:
....its epic!
And you too Frost. Evidently starting a good week
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:28 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I was hoping jeep pay would show up.

jeep pay?
Stupid auto correct on phone.

I meant Jespah.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:45 am
@frostfire,
One way of picking a title is to complete the manuscript first and then to read it carefully until you find a combination of words that suggest or serve as a title.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 01:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
What edgarblythe said: A catchy phrase or words unique to the subject matter.
0 Replies

frostfire

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ahhh i see what you're saying. That is a good idea ^.^
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:08 pm
@frostfire,
BTW, some of us are still waiting for edgarblythe's first book.
I had a rocket scientist friend who also wrote several books, and it was mostly autobiographical. We met at an African safari is South Africa, but he passed several years ago. He was a professor at Cal Poly and USC.
0 Replies

saw038

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 06:24 pm
@frostfire,
A Hero's Path
0 Replies