What does Clinton need to do to win?

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:09 am
Right now she seems in an almost limbo. Trump keeps narrowing the polls. In my opinion, she needs to get among the working people more and connect with them by displaying genuine interest in their concerns. After she secured the nomination she slipped back under the corporate umbrella and basically sits there, a target for emails and health broadsides and looks to be static. She has to take control of the conversation. She can only do that by getting in the trenches and getting the base stirred up. The debates may be her best shot as things stand now. She should not wait for that to begin what I am suggesting. Which is be pro people and pro people based actions.

engineer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:21 am
@edgarblythe,
I think the problem is that she has done what you suggested and has formulated serious policy proposals that will really make a difference in working people's lives. She has a reputation for spending a lot more time listening than talking and then making smart, rational decisions based on what she hears. What is missing is that visual, the shaking hands and kissing babies thing.

That said, you are not a Clinton voter. What would it take to win your vote?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 02:03 pm
@engineer,
To secure my vote she and Obama too need to take a solid stand against the network of pipelines being currently built with no public input. I would let everything else slide if they sincerely worked at this.

I would still hate them over TPP and other issues, but I would at least change my vote.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 04:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
REVISED: I did some factcheck on Hillary, and there's more negatives than positives. After finding out all the lies and legal issues about her, I'm now prone to question her candidacy as our president. She can't be trusted.
oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
To secure my vote she and Obama too need to take a solid stand against the network of pipelines being currently built with no public input. I would let everything else slide if they sincerely worked at this.

I would still hate them over TPP and other issues, but I would at least change my vote.

I really don't understand why liberals oppose these things. Pipelines are FAR safer than sending the oil overland in giant oil trains (which occasionally derail and incinerate an entire town).

TPP will boost our economy (remember how prosperous the 1990's were after NAFTA), and it will set up an international trading regime in Asia that follows American mores instead of Chinese ones.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

REVISED: I did some factcheck on Hillary, and there's more negatives than positives. After finding out all the lies and legal issues about her, I'm now prone to question her candidacy as our president. She can't be trusted.

There's the rub. Neither candidate can be trusted, but we are going to get stuck with one of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 06:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I really don't understand why liberals oppose these things. Pipelines are FAR safer than sending the oil overland in giant oil trains (which occasionally derail and incinerate an entire town).

TPP will boost our economy (remember how prosperous the 1990's
were after NAFTA), and it will set up an international trading regime in Asia that follows American mores instead of Chinese ones.

We need to go green. Move away from that kind of oil instead of destroying water supplies and the like.

TPP will take away the people's right to make rules in their own nation and. Only big business will have any rights. People like you and me will be exploited for their profit and like trickle down economics it will all trickle up, none down. Just big pharma alone is going to screw us over this.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 09:38 am
@engineer,
She has not done what I suggested in a manner that puts such ideas to the forefront. She has not persuaded people she will do a thing for them, except the true believers, who are not that numerous. The election so far is being decided by "How terrible is Trump" which his supporters are oblivious or even happy about and "Clinton is sick is an email liar."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
We need to go green. Move away from that kind of oil instead of destroying water supplies and the like.

We don't have a renewable alternative to the widespread use of the internal combustion engine. Electric cars can do some of the job, but they aren't at a place where they are able to replace all cars.

And electric cars are only as renewable as their source of electricity. If an area has already maximized its use of wind and solar without being able to cover their electricity demand, and they can't use fracked natural gas or nuclear reactors to generate electricity because of environmental opposition, those electric cars are going to be getting their energy from coal-burning power plants (and factoring in the energy loss from transmitting electricity through power lines, that is going to be a lot of CO2 in the air just to power a car).

A move to smaller more fuel-efficient cars is a very good idea, but the nation will still need gasoline for the foreseeable future.

edgarblythe wrote:
TPP will take away the people's right to make rules in their own nation and.

It is not possible for a treaty to have that power. American courts are required to give precedence to any federal law that is newer than a treaty, and are required to give the US Constitution precedence over everything.

edgarblythe wrote:
Only big business will have any rights. People like you and me will be exploited for their profit

I do not believe that this is true. Barack Obama went to great lengths to include worker and environmental protections in this new treaty.

edgarblythe wrote:
and like trickle down economics it will all trickle up, none down. Just big pharma alone is going to screw us over this.

Look at what NAFTA did in conjunction with the balanced budget. The booming economy of the 1990s benefited the entire country, little guys included.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many people fail to understand that fresh water is a limited resource. Without fresh water, all living things will die.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 04:53 pm
@oralloy,
I don't think you have read up enough on these trade agreements. I am not going to derail this thread, but I have other threads that get into it.

The oil lines are always rupturing and doing incredible damage. The one cutting through Indian territory is going against treaties and cutting through sacred sites.

Anyway, there are other threads to address these topics in depth.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 05:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The oil lines are always rupturing and doing incredible damage.

Pipelines that were designed to carry light sweet crude are not necessarily good at carrying tar sands oil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:15 pm
I actually started this thread to be constructive, because it is increasingly looking like she may lose.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Personally neither are good enough in my opinion.

Having said that, I think Trump is a coward, a big kid, strange, racist, lots of things, I keep shaking my head when he speaks.

I've watched here in Australia, the promises, that are never kept so I personally don't take notice of what they promise will happen, it never does.

I do take notice of those that seem to be "weird" and would just take my chances with the other one.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 03:21 am
I don't know that there's anything she can do to win, and the fact she may lose is part of why I am so down on people at the moment. It's not just America either. You see the Trump phenomenon all over the world. Perhaps soon every country will be like Putin's Russia.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 03:29 am
One reason she is likely to lose is that in response to every legitimate and damning criticism levelled at Trump, his campaign responds "I know you are but what am I?" Recently they -- yes they -- accused her of running a campaign that was not about issues. And the idiots lap it up. They accused her of running a campaign based on hate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
TPP will change your status in the world. I hope you'll investigate deeper before committing to your plan.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Like someone said on Twitter: Trump is a conman, Clinton is Dr. No.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
People believe clean water will always be abundantly available.

They don't know how wrong they are and how close we are to finding out how much we've taken it for granted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2016 09:15 pm
I used to laugh at the conservatives who railed against one world government. Now I see big business as constructing a global network beyond the power of governments to contain their expanding wealth and power. TPP is one of the most ambitious programs they have come up with. When the network is complete, resistance will be futile.