Are You Ready? Can You Take It? THE BOB DYLAN THREAD

aidan

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Listen to this version of Meet Me In the Morning- musically - it is just incredible:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:34 pm
Thanks. I had not heard that version.
aidan

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hadn't either until I was reminded of how much I love this album and looked it up on youtube.

One of my favorite lyrics ever is in that song:
'Look at that sun - sinking like a ship....'
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:48 pm
@aidan,
When it comes to picking favorite Dylan lines, I find it impossible to pick favorites. Too many to choose from.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 06:53 pm
Did yer see how much the Zimmerman guitar sold for?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 01:38 pm
MUSCATINE, IA—Seeking to revitalize his musical operations following years of declining revenue and mounting production costs, musician Bob Dylan laid off 2,000 workers from his flagship songwriting factory in Muscatine, IA this week, sources confirmed.

According to representatives of Dylan’s Watchtower Consolidated Song Manufacturing, which owns and operates over a dozen chord assembly, rhythm works, and lyric forging plants throughout the nation’s heartland, the headcount reduction comes as the iconic recording artist seeks to streamline operations in order to better compete in the modern songwriting landscape
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:54 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 11:13 am
Bob Dylan
The amazing 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration, finally available on Blu Ray, DVD, and CD.

Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Neil Young, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, Lou Reed, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder, Tracy Chapman, Chrissie Hynde, Sinead O'Connor, Rosanne Cash, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Richie Havens, Johnny Winter, Roger McGuinn, Booker T & The MGs, the Clancy Brothers, Sophie B Hawkins and more!

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Wait, wasn't there just a 50th Anniversary Concert that just happened? Or am I late to the dance and it's been written about here?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 12:29 pm
@Ragman,
The 30th happened some time back. Smile But it was great. I copied it off of PBS and still have it on tape. The blotch on it, it documents the audience refusing to let Sinead O,Conner sing I Believe in You.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 05:14 pm
spendius

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Does this solve the mystery of Bob's chosen name?

Quote:
Taliesin (probably born in Powys)began life as Gwion Bach, a servant to Ceridwen, the wife of a nobleman Tegid Foel, in the days when King Arthur ruled. She was a magician who had three arts she learned: enchantment, magic, and divination. Ceridwen had a beautiful daughter and an ugly son named Morfran, which means "Great Crow", whose appearance no magic could cure. Later he became known as Afagddu, which means "Utter Darkness". Ceridwen felt in order for him to gain respect and acceptance from noblemen he had to have great qualities to compensate for his ugly looks, so she sought to give him the gift of wisdom and knowledge. Through her arts she found a way of giving her son these special qualities, so she found special herbs from the earth in order to do this Inspiration (Awen), which had to be constantly stirred and cooked for a year and a day in a cauldron.

A blind man, whose name we do not know, was assigned by Ceridwen to stir the cauldron, while Gwion Bach, a young lad, stoked the fire underneath it. The first three drops of liquid from this cauldron would give, "extraordinarily learned in various arts and full of spirit of prophecy" (The Tale of Gwion Bach), and the rest was a fatal poison. After all Ceridwen's hard work she sat down, and accidentally fell asleep. While she was asleep the three drops sprang from the cauldron and Gwion Bach shoved Morfran out of the way so he could get the three drops. Instantly, he gained wisdom. Knowing from his wisdom that Ceridwen would be very angry once she found out what happened, he ran away.

All too soon he heard her fury and the sound of her pursuit. He turned himself into a hare on the land and she became a greyhound. He turned himself into a fish and jumped into a river: she then turned into an otter. He turned into a bird in the air, and in response she became a hawk.

Exhausted, Ceridwen managed to force him into a barn, where he turned into a single grain of corn and she became a tufted black hen and ate him. She became pregnant because of this. She resolved to kill the child, knowing it was Gwion, but when he was born he was so beautiful that she couldn't, so she had him put into a hide covered basket and thrown into the lake, river, or sea, depending on which version of this tale it is.
Discovery by Elffin

The baby was found by Elphin, the son of Gwyddno Garanhir, 'Lord of Ceredigion', while fishing for salmon. Surprised at the whiteness of the boy's forehead, he exclaimed "this is a radiant forehead." (in Welsh: tal iesin). Taliesin, thus named, began to sing stanzas (poetry), known as Dehuddiant Elphin, saying:

Fair Elffin, cease your weeping!
Despair brings no profit.
No catch in Gwyddno's weir
Was ever as good as tonight's.
Let no one revile what is his;
Man sees not what nurtures him.
Gwyddno's prayers shall not be in vain.
God breaks not his promises.

Fair Elphin, dry your cheeks!
It does not become you to be sad.
Though you think you have no gain
Undue grief will bring you nothing,
Nor will doubting the miracles of the Lord.
Though I am small, I am gifted.
From the sea and the mountain, from rivers' depths
God sent bounty to the blessed.

Elphin of cheerful disposition-
Meek is your mind.
You must not lament so heavily.
Better God than gloomy foreboding.
Though I am frail and little
And wet with spume of Dylan's sea,
I shall earn in a day of contention
Riches better than three score for you.

Elphin of the remarkable qualities,
Grieve not for your catch.
Though I am frail here in my bunting,
There are wonders on my tongue.
You must not fear greatly
While I am watching over you.
By remembering the name of the Trinity
None can overcome you.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:21 am
Thanks for that. I am a bit groggy now, so will read more closely later.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:17 pm
@spendius,
I read this and did some additional reading, and I think it is possible Bob knew of this Dylan, but he always seemed to me to go along with the Dylan Thomas story.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 04:24 pm
69 things you may not know about Bob Dylan
http://flavorwire.com/93342/bob-dylan-69-birthday-facts/
spendius

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 05:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
but he always seemed to me to go along with the Dylan Thomas story.

I never believed that for one moment ed.
spendius

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 05:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
No 13 is quite witty ed.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 05:09 pm
@spendius,
Well, he didn't tell me. I had to puzzle it out, same as everyone else.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 05:10 pm
@spendius,
I knew most of the 69. I didn't have a clue about Elston Gunn.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Well, he didn't tell me. I had to puzzle it out, same as everyone else.

He once said that it was on his list and chose it because it wasn't in the US telephone directory.

I didn't believe that either.
0 Replies