Bubblologst?

Seed

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:15 pm
Was watching the tv and as i was flipping through the channels the word bubblologist was under the name of a man as his job... i looked up and it was on the discovery channel... I didnt get to watch much more of the shower and they never explained what the man did... what in the world is a bubblologist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
I went to the science museum and saw a bubbleologist.

He blew these incredible bubbles - bubbles that would enclose a person, square bubbles, spinning bubbles - and explained the science behind them.

He has a web site - I found a great bubble recipe there. I'll see if I can find it for you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:49 pm
I found a lot of sites for Tom Noddy, a bubble blower but his recipe wasn't the same one that I made so I think that I saw a different bubble blower.

Anyway.......

It's pretty cool what they can do.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:38 pm
sounds cool. but the title of the show that the "bubblologist" was on was about the burmuda triangle. so i dont think he was a bubble blower..... maybe this will help the wheels turn...
0 Replies

Ewood27

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
Some people postulate that the strange losses of ships and aircraft in the Bermuda Triangle are the result of large bubbles of gas rising from the seabed when the rock cannot contain them any longer. The bubbles are thought to be big enough to enclose a boat, which falls into the hole in the water. The water then closes back in and sinks the boat. Aircraft suffer engine failure and loss of lift when the gas bubble rises through the air. Maybe that's the line your bubbly man was pursuing.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:16 pm
hm that sounds like it could be the one.. thanks Ewood Smile
0 Replies

mstrsfantasy

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
bubblologist
The gentleman was a self proclaimed bubblologist. It was his job to measure the size bubbles of methane gas it would take to explode a ship and how to simulate the incident.
I was trying to find info on it through discovery.com and was unable to.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 01:13 am
Ewood27 wrote:
Some people postulate that the strange losses of ships and aircraft in the Bermuda Triangle are the result of large bubbles of gas rising from the seabed when the rock cannot contain them any longer. The bubbles are thought to be big enough to enclose a boat, which falls into the hole in the water. The water then closes back in and sinks the boat. Aircraft suffer engine failure and loss of lift when the gas bubble rises through the air. Maybe that's the line your bubbly man was pursuing.

Almost right but not quite.

The bubbles don't need to be big enough to enclose a vessel.
All they need to do is be small and plentiful enough to reduce the density of the water enough so that the ship basically falls through the highly aerated (methaneated) water to it's doom when the sea closes over the top of it.

You can try it in the bath if you like.
Take the shower head and pipe off the top of the taps (if you have that setup) and fill the bath up.
Get yourself a wee wooden boat, put the shower head about a foot under the boat pointing upwards and then blow hard down the tube.
You'll get loads and loads of wee bubbles of air out of the shower head under the boat and the boat will become extremely unstable and sink by halves or sink completely.

You could replace the air with methane but I wouldn't like to suggest a source or be responsible for the consequences if you do.
0 Replies