Oprah gives away 276 cars on TV show

Col Man

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:26 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afpji/20040914/040914175533.7bnl1gio0b.jpg
US talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, seen here August 2004

CHICAGO (AFP) - US talk show queen Oprah Winfrey kicked off the 19th season of her show by giving away 276 cars worth seven million dollars.

Winfrey provided all 276 women in her hand-picked audience with the Pontiac G6 sports sedans.

Relatives of all the audience had written in to the show say the women were a deserving case.

Eleven of the cars were given out during the show while the rest of the audience got gift boxes. When the women opened the boxes they also had the keys to new cars, which makers General Motors Corp. estimate to be worth about 28,000 dollars each.

GM said the cost of the cars was the same as about 50 prime time television adverts.

The show reaches an estimated weekly audience of 30 million viewers in the United States and is also syndicated to more than 100 other countries.

"Anyone can run commercials, but you rarely get a chance to partner with someone of Oprah's stature," said Mark-Hans Richer, Pontiac's director of marketing.

link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040914/323/f2l5g.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 414 • Replies: 7
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:38 am
All Oprah did was give them away, she didn't fork out the cash to pay for the vehicles. They were donated. You wanna credit someone, credit GM!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:44 am
Smart move on GM's part. They get the advertisement for the car, Oprah basks in the reflected glory, the audience gets their cars, and Uncle Sam gets the taxes, as the cost of the cars are taken in as straight income by the winners.. Its a win-win-win-sorta win situation! :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:47 am
I heard that Oprah got arrested today for drugs...they lifted up her dress and found fifty pounds of crack!
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:31 pm
Phoenix: What a mind! Kick: What? A mind? Make that your last old Oprah joke, OK?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:36 pm
Chuckster wrote:
Phoenix: What a mind! Kick: What? A mind? Make that your last old Oprah joke, OK?

Everytime I tell that joke, nobody laughs, and everyone tells me it sucks, and that I shouldn't tell it anymore. And that is what makes it my favorite joke. Hee hee.

I don't even know any other Oprah jokes, so don't worry chuckster.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:45 pm
Who needs jokes when there's enough truths!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:04 pm
well its good to see u all in the h.i. forum Very Happy
0 Replies