Certain sounds

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:26 pm
Some sounds are just richer, not just like you can tell what it is with your eyes closed, but it has soul.

In fact when you're not looking, they are even more delectable.

For instance, the sound of someone opening or closing a tube of lipstick. Not a cheap plastic tube, but one of those metal ones. Especially if they're vintage, jewel encrusted ones.

Ditto for the sound of a makeup compact being opened or closed, or the clasp being snicked closed on good handbag.

Just like the sound of hot black coffee being poured into a good mug can't be anything else. I always visualize it tumbling over itself in slow motion, which it makes that sound.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 06:50 pm
@chai2,
I like the Sound of Music.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Aw, you just like Juli Andrews - not that there's anything wrong with that.
chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:19 pm
@roger,
Thanks to the peanut gallery.

I was hoping for some sharing.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:23 pm
@chai2,
I'm speaking from personal experience. My wife and I went to the San Francisco Symphony for over 13 years. I drove the 40 miles each way on Friday evenings to San Francisco to listen to their music. We were able to listen to some of the top musicians of the world. Michael Tilson Thomas was the last Music Director when we stopped going.
I'm not sure why you want to call that "peanut gallery."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:43 pm
@chai2,
And I should have expected a reaction like that, especially on such an earthshaking topic.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 09:42 pm
@roger,
Wow! I just learned that Michael Tilson Thomas is still conducting the San Francisco Symphony. I'm surprised and very pleased that he has made his home in the Bay Area.
http://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2016-2017/MTT-conducts-Reich-and-Copland.aspx
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:30 pm
You may not realize how satisfying it is to hear a good solid door close, but I am especially aware, since I made the door that got installed when I opened up the new wing of bathroom. A standard size door could not fit in the height I was working with, so had to construct my own. It is the best one I ever made.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know. The kind you can knock on all day and not expect to be heard on the other side.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:48 pm
Thanks edgar. Yes, a good door closing has a very special, secure sound.

CI and roger, I said that to you both because I was obviously talking about individual sounds, not an entire concert or show.

Your comments were without thought to the topic as presented, and was going to send this thread spiraling off into space.

Earthshaking? Maybe not to you roger, but sounds like I'm talking about are very important to me. Just because it's something you don't get, doesn't mean it's not important.

Another special sound to me, that I've mentioned before, is my cat roland trotting quickly across a tile floor. Not running or cantoring, just a quick trot like he's got an important appointment in the back of the house he's slightly late for.

bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbump.
It makes me smile. Nothing else sounds like that.

Another good sound is someone planing wood.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:20 am
The mystics of the past used the echoes of drums in underground cavernous places to go into altered states of consciousness.

Today we use lipstick cases and closing doors to illicit the same altered state. Smile

The stereoscopic nature of sound often creates electrical impulses that can travel from one ear to the other directly through the brain.

Our auditory sense is the greatest of all senses and spoken words are the most powerful way to impact the mind.
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:27 am
@TheCobbler,
Cobbler, I just found this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

So there is something to this.

Like, hearing the sound of tapping keys on a keyboard.

I looked briefly, and there are a number of videos on youtube with people making these whispering, clicking, crinkly, soft scratching sounds with various objects.

At first it seems, well, strange. Yet after awhile, yes, relaxing. Like it's something deeper than the mere sound they are making.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:38 am
@chai2,
I make music as my main profession and I have a lot of sounds I collect for the possible incorporation into music.

The most delicious sounds are the ones that run the gamut from left speaker to right speaker in a phased out manner.

Here is my latest song I named "Mood Swing"
https://www.reverbnation.com/rexredmusicartist/song/26504394-mood-swing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 01:30 am
There is a particular, distinct sound made when a bottle or can, the contents of which are under pressure, is opened. Particularly, the sound of a bottle being opened.
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 01:31 am
I don't care much for music. That's why I find these certain sounds so important to me. For one, they don't go on forever like a song. That's irritating to me.

Also, the individual sounds like I've described have a purity in that they stand alone.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 01:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

There is a particular, distinct sound made when a bottle or can, the contents of which are under pressure, is opened. Particularly, the sound of a bottle being opened.

Yes!

It's like the sound of the aroma rolling out like a fog.

It says "drink me, I will envelop your tongue.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 11:19 am
Your and setanta's posts remind me of the prior days when coffee came in a vacuum sealed can and you opened it with a key. The first turn of the key made a sound of air crushing vacuum, as the wonderful aroma escaped.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good one, i had forgotten about that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm
@chai2,
Sorry I diverted from you OP.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:34 pm
A dog's collar, with the ID tags jangling. It's different from the sound of keys.

1. Forums
  2. » Certain sounds
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:58:14