Talk radio

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:50 pm
Before now, the only time in my life I ever listened to talk radio was about 13 years ago when I had to make a weekly drive between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. The only station I could pick up in those boonies was one playing the Rush Limbaugh show. This was before Rush became such a blow-hard and his show was actually pretty entertaining. I found myself looking forward to the drive just to listen in.

Lately I've found myself listening to Air America when I'm in my car or when I'm cooking dinner and I am hooked. I love to listen to either Ed Shultz or Randi Rhodes, especially, but some of the other shows are good too. These shows are informative and funny. (When the Randi Rhodes show cornered Bob Barr at the RNC to ask him how many times he'd been married I nearly died from laughing.)

I fear that I'm becoming one of those "talk radio" people!

Do you listen to talk radio?

Who do you listen to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,683 • Replies: 40
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
Randi, I believe used to be in S Florida radio. She's a hoot. Rush is not worth tuning in. There's a local team called the Love Doctors that are pretty entertaining. Back in the early 80's I was a big fan of Dr Laura.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
Dr. Laura!? Oh no - not that quack! She freaks me out.

I haven't tuned Rush in for a while but really, he just stopped being entertaining to me. And I'm someone who is hypnotized by televangalists! I really like to hear what everyone is up to, and thinking, and saying.

Randi Rhodes did start out in Florida - I think it was the 2000 election that tipped her over the edge.

But why I listen is because she's very well informed, an excellent debator who encourages calls from the "opposition" and she's funny as all get out.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
i often listen to Rush , i like it when he takes a position on science or medicine , and you know hes talking right out of a different orifice than his mouth.

I like talk radio that is fun , so Ill tune to "Don and Mike" in the PM. if Im on the road in the AM Ill tune to Stern , who can be funny except when hes so self congratulatory, then I shut him off. There was a really funny bit that Stern did someime in mid June .Arty Lange told a story about how he ws all coked up and dressed up as a pig for a skit on Mad TV, He was trying to buy more coke and was driving still in his pig costume. The bit lasted for 15 minutes and I had tears coming out of my eyes so bad that I couldnt see strait.

Sometimes you gotta put down all the seriousness and just laugh your ass off.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:50 pm
I remember Dr Laura as being very prescient a long time ago. She might have changed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:05 pm
Oh man..Stern does it for me every time. I get Don and Mike, but rarely tune in, as it's on at a bad time for me. Art Bell, classic, and for further conspiracy theory, Gary Bell, no relation, who is on a local station on Saturday nights here, Mojo radio, AM640. I also enjoy some internet shows, notably rant radio and NHB radio.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:21 pm
I catch Don Imus in the mornings on my way to work. (It's sort of odd to think that my mother used to listen to him when I was a kid. She'd have the radio on while we were getting ready to go of to school. He's been on the radio for a loooong time!)

Other than that, I listen to "The Money Show" on weekends - people call in and ask questions about investing and stuff and they have a couple of top end investment advisors that discuss goings on in the personal investment world. It's a local Boston show though. I don't think it plays anywhere else.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:21 pm
I've never heard of "Don and Mike" but I have heard of Stern, of course, and Don Imus, of course, and I have a friend who is mad for Art Bell but I've never listened.

I used to listen to "Mark and Brian" (out of L.A., I think) once in a while which might have been a "Don and Mike" kind of thing - it was (is?) hilarious. I never really considered it talk radio but I guess it was since they really didn't play music but just gabbed.

I used to listen to the radio to try to keep a leg up on new music and now I find myself listening to talk. Next thing you know, I'll be hitting people with my cane and chasing little heathens off my lawn!

<sigh>

At least I still read record reviews and buy new music once in a while...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:29 pm
yep, thats the circle of life boomer.

don Geronimo and Mike OMara are 2 very funny guys with a show out of DC, they are syndicated in about 20 cities. They used to be on in Philly but i had to go and get a waay better radio to pick up the DC station WJFK.

They talk mostly about a guys life . They have this really great Elvis "Death Day" show where they dig up these old tapes of Hammered Elvis trying to sing or talk to people while incredibly stoned. Very funny stuff.
Omara does great impersonations and they do a "crank Yanker " sort of thing every so often.

They spend a lot of time talking about the funny news of the day.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
Speaking of DC...My Dad took me to see two very funny guys in the 60's. They had a radio show called "The Joy Boys" It was Willard Scott and Ed Walker, who was blind. Willard went on to become Ronald McDonald and a famous weatherman.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
That sounds fun!

I haven't seen Crank Yankers but I have an idea of what the concept is about - but what is it that is so funny about prank phone calls?

One of the funniest radio bits I ever heard was a crank call to make this guy eat mayonaise. Well, you just had to hear it.

And, I laugh every single time Bart Simpson calls Mo's asking for Mike Hunt or whatever.

I love "guy" stuff. As a girl, listening to guy stuff gives you a window on another world.

My brother lives in DC - I'm hoping to visit him in the kinda near future so I'll be sure to tune in.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
howard stern (6:00 - 10:??)
lynn martin [topical call in show from windsor, ontario, canada] (10:?? - 12:00)
dr. joy browne (12:30 - 3:00)
deminski & doyle [topical call in show from detroit] (3:00 - 7:00)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 09:16 pm
Hi djjd - what do they talk about on these topical call in shows and on Dr. Joy Browne?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 09:23 pm
stories in the news, local issues, ask an expert kinda stuff

dr joy browne is a psychologist, like dr laura only with a personality you can stand, and much less judgemental
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
stern.
used to enjoy the greaseman on my way home from work in NY...
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
I'm getting more conservative all the time. It seems the older I get, the more sense my dad made- hmmmm...

I've listened to Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck, and Shawn Hannity for awhile- still can't take Rush though.

My favorite as of late is Michael Savage. You gotta hear this guy! He is a right wing conservative who sounds like a New York Jewboy. He lives in San Fran and rants about the Islamofascists terrorists and has a best-selling book called "The Enemy Within". The local FOX station booted him presumably because he's too offensive. What's really scary is I find myself agreeing with him alot.

Check out www.MicahelSavage.com

Dr Laura is a hoot just to hear her read the riot act to some of her stupid callers. I wonder what some of these people are thinking? They know she's going to rip them a new one and yet they call anyway- Oy!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:00 pm
Hi Region! So many people have mentioned Stern that I will try to find a way to hear him.

Or did the FCC pull his plug?

Hi Jose! I've heard a little about Savage - but not in a very nice context. Many Portland chuch's petitioned Paul Allen to take Savage off his radio stations a few years back. I've heard he's really hatefull.

And that his real name is Michael Weiner.

I used to like Bill O'Riely okay but he seems to have gone a bit off the deep end, for me.

I'm going to have to tune in some of the conservative radio shows just to give it a listen.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
yes, stern's still on.
he's an acquired taste -- couldn't stand him at first, but after a while you get used to his ego Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:11 pm
Link to Willard Scott/Joy Boys

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDlAigcRP41ghp6cs9WUm!!FS0MpH9f3mM*uw8vT0XcH3nOnAOPb1qeyxnXgN7ARyb40pTu6xmxf4GkEGJIyKn!DOFlaKT0q3z3sqUMTNDtcgwAzRGv6D1H6Zi2k!Ww/williard.jpg

How Willard looks today-It is really amazing when you realize how people change over the life of their careers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:14 pm
Quote:
yes, stern's still on. he's an acquired taste -- couldn't stand him at first, but after a while you get used to his ego

I used to listen to Imus, and then Stern, when I lived in NY. Problem is that with Stern, I found him to be so gross, that I would have to turn him off after awhile.
0 Replies