Real Numbers

AllyH09

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:13 pm
Okay. I seriously messed up on a test and I have to correct all the wrong answers. *sighs* I forgot my algebra 1 book at school and I need some help with a question. (It's True and False, BTW)

All real numbers are rational numbers.
I know what rational numbers are... but I don't get what they mean by real numbers. Can someone help me out here Thanks so much. /

-Ally
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 997 • Replies: 12
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:31 pm
a real number is any number that is not imaginary

an imaginary number is a multiple of sqrt(-1)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:12 pm
Re: Real Numbers
AllyH09 wrote:
Okay. I seriously messed up on a test and I have to correct all the wrong answers. *sighs* I forgot my algebra 1 book at school and I need some help with a question. (It's True and False, BTW)

false. rational numbers are those which can be expressed as fractions of integer numbers, sucn as 1/2, 42/555, etc. But some real numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, cannot be expressed as fractions. Hence, all rational numbers are real numbers, but not all real numbers are rational numbers.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
All real numbers are rational numbers. - false

(A real number is defined as a limit of a sequence of rational numbers. - true)
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:17 pm
The set of all rational and irrational numbers

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma2001/notes/node8.html
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
g_day, your link does not define the rational nor the irrational numbers..
0 Replies

toni buenrollito

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:28 am
Re: Real Numbers
AllyH09 wrote:

I know what rational numbers are... but I don't get what they mean by real numbers. Can someone help me out here Thanks so much. /

-Ally

You must only know that:

N c Z c Q (where "N c Z" means "N is a subset of Z").
Q u I =R (where "u" means union, joint and I is the set of irrational numbers)

Therefore, the statement is false. It's true, however, that "All rational numbers are real numbers". Numbers that are not real are complex (4+i, and so on).

I hope you have understood it.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
False

Real numbers include all numbers that are not imaginary. This includes the Irrational numbers, such as (pi, phi, √2, √3, √5, √7) and the rational (numbers that can be expressed as ratios of integers).

Rap
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:01 am
that is what we leant last year Smile
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:43 pm
You were half right: All rational numbers are real numbers.

Squares are rectangles too.

And listen to Stuh - because you can have both rational and irrational imaginary lines.

And don't forget the infinity of points on a line is a larger infinity than the infinity of rational numbers.

I wonder if the infinity of imaginary numbers is as large or larger than the infinity of real numbers.

See, now you've got me going. Is George Gamov in the room?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
If I said "imaginary lines" I meant imaginary numbers - both rational and irrational. Pi is the most appealing of irrational numbers or at least the most appetizing. Would you care for a slice?
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:53 pm
"I wonder if the infinity of imaginary numbers is as large or larger than the infinity of real numbers."

cardinality of C = cardinality of RxR = cardinality of R
0 Replies

Rara Avis

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 03:04 am
The amazing thing is that between two rational numbers there is an irrational number and vice versa, but the cardinality of irrational numbers is by far bigger than the cardinality of rational numbers.

That aside, I think it's time someone proved to our little child that not all real numbers are rational. Let's assume sqrt(2) is rational (actually one should also prove that sqrt(2) is real, but high school students assume it is).
sqrt(2)=p/q such that p and q are coprime (there is no prime that divides both p and q because then we can illuminate it).
Lets multiply each side by itself.
2=p^2/q^2
=> 2*q^2=p^2
Thus 2 divides p^2. That also means that 2 divides p. Lets write p as 2*k.
2*q^2=4*k^2 => q^2=2*k^2
Thus 2 divides q^2. That also means that 2 divides q. But we assumed that p and q are coprime... Contradiction. That's why sqrt(2) is irrational.

There is a proof I like more using abstract algebra, but it uses concepts that are a bit more difficult to understand.
0 Replies