Pigsy is ready to pop!!!

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
Well, my cat Pigsy is pregnant, in fact I think she's in labour. I didn't know she was pregnant until around a month ago. I mean we thought she could be, but there was no sign, up until one day she was fat. So a few weeks went by, and now she is really, really fat. I mean her nipples are huge, the babies are kicking like crazy, she's (ahem, sorry to gross anyone out) oozing fluid from her.....you know. It seems as if she wants to have them, but just doesn't know how. I thought this stuff came as instinct to cats? Does it sound to you as if she's gonna burst? Cause we thought she was gonna burst a while ago. Is there anything I can do to kind of help her along? Thanks in advance!

Here she is!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,106 • Replies: 19
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:24 pm
I've been present for 3 cat labors and the one thing they all had in common was that the cats found a cool dark soft place to have them -- and they wanted to be left alone. Maybe you could make a soft bed in a closet somewhere and make sure she knows about it?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:29 pm
Thanks Freeduck, good advise, in fact, i've already done that. She has a bed, in a quiet dark place, she knows it's her bed, she hangs out in it all the time, but she keeps following me and moewing when I leave her. I have watched one whole delivery before from a different cat, but my cat just doesn't seem to be getting the whole concept of having babies...lol...i dunno.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
Funny how they're all so different. Maybe she wants you with her. Or maybe it's just not time yet but getting close enough to make her nervous.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:40 pm
Standup, I'd like to know more about the house. Judging by the photo it appears to be an older home. Farmhouse? And where does that door go? Basement? What type of wall is that? It almost looks like cement. Must be plaster and lathe. Or am I wrong. The trim work is unusual. I'm guessing the house was built in the '30's.

Please post some pictures of the house, both interior and exterior. Also, a little history of the house would be nice.

I'll be waiting.

Oh, and good luck with the cat.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
LOL...gus, as always!!! This IS NOT...lol...my house....however...I am renting the basement sweet of this house. Yes gus, as you have nicely pointed out...lol...it is a dive, but it's cheap, so I don't care!!!!
0 Replies

dolphin 1495

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:07 pm
Pigsy
Had she had them yet? All you can really do is keep an eye on her....keep her inside and get a nice, warm, comfy place for her to give birth to the babies. It is instinct for them generally. Sometimes with first litters they are a little like "hey, what's going on here". But aren't we all?? lol - Good Luck - she's a pretty cat....
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:15 pm
Thanks dolphin! Welcome to a2k!!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
overdue
My cat, PollyAnna, had her one and only litter of kittens eight years ago. She was overdue. We fixed up a large cage in the cool basement with blankets draped over the cage to keep it dark. The cage was large enough to accommodate a comfy bed / litter box / food and water dish.

We put her in the cage and left her alone. Within 12 hours, PollyAnna gave birth to her kittens. We thought she only had five kittens because that's how many we saw nursing when it was all over and we checked on her. Later, when I opened the cage door and she got up, stretched, and came out to sit on my lap ---- I discovered that she had been laying on a sixth kitten. It was dead. It still had the sack over its face.

I have no idea why PollyAnna had neglected to clean the birth sack off that kitten---maybe she was overwhelmed by birthing so many kittens all at once and she didn't realize that one of her babies needed her help. Therefore, if possible, you should keep checking and try to be there when the kittens are born just to make sure the birth sack gets cleaned off their little faces so they can breathe.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:20 pm
Edit-double post
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:33 pm
Stand up
Debra and others gave great advice. I hope all goes well.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:58 am
UPDATE:

At 5:00am this morning, pigsy woke my bf and I up by meowing. We open our eyes to the sight of a baby kitty hanging from pigsy. We got pigsy to calm down, and she did her thing. 15 minutes later, she has another baby. It is now almost noon, and she hasn't had the rest of them. I can still feel the babies inside her kicking, but pigsy isn't having them yet. Is that not weird? The ambilical cord or something is still hanging from her, unattached from any kitty. I'm contemplating calling a vet, as I'm getting worried something is very wrong. Any help here would be great, thanks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:52 pm
I'd call the vet asap, 7 hrs in between is about 4 hrs too long for puppies, so I suspect something similar is true for kittens.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:02 pm
I just got off the phone with the vet, he said I could give her a shot of somehting or other, or I could leave her till morning and see if she has had them, then if she hasn't had them, I should bring her in.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
Saw Pigsy's pic, lovely grey color, do the kittens look like her or is it too early to tell on coat color?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:40 pm
Thanks, pigsy is a pure bred siamese, but her babies aren't. They are both calico. Really cute. The one baby is twice the size of the other.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:41 pm
Awww
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:26 pm
I'm here hoping for the best. Give pigsy a smooch for me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:29 pm
I could have swore there was a response in this thread from Sozobe. Something about a labor-inducing drug. What the hell happened to it?

Or are there multiple Pigsy-popping threads?

This whole ordeal is driving me up a friggin' wall.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:40 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33972
0 Replies