Can We Have a Roll Call?

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:17 pm
Here are your choices

1) I support Clinton because she will make a good or great president
2) I support Clinton because she is the lesser of two evils
3) I support Trump because he will make a good or great president
4) I support Trump because he is the lesser of two evils
5) I don't support Clinton or Trump

I changed "voting" to "support" in anticipation of some wag going on about voter privacy. You need not reveal who you intend to vote for.

I'll go first:

#5 I don't support Clinton or Trump
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 2,229 • Replies: 58

contrex

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:19 pm
It is possible to simultaneously assent to 1 and 2, as I do, (or say "1, or failing that, 2") although it is academic since I am not a US citizen or resident.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:22 pm
@contrex,
Agree w Con
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:22 pm
@contrex,
I'm not sure it is.

Being the "lesser of two evils" doesn't bode well for a presidency that might be considered "good" or "great" since it means the person is "evil."

Either one of them might win and somehow prove to be wonderful presidents but based on what we know of them that seems unlikely.
contrex

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:31 pm
if the lesser of the two evils is only a little bit evil, or whose evil nature is open to debate, and the greater of the two evils is a gigantic, colossal, no-two-ways-about-it mindfuck of a walking disaster, then the rational choice is clear. Like the common cold vs. polio.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:48 pm
@contrex,
I'm not making any judgments about the candidates (other then in registering my choice). Since I think both are too "evil" to support, it's immaterial to me which is more "evil"

My point is that it's difficult to reconcile #1 and #2 (or for that matter #3 and #4) as being a valid choice. It seems like you want to cover all the bases.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:04 pm
Too early to commit.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:09 pm
@PUNKEY,
Fair enough
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
2) I support Clinton because she is the lesser of two evils

I'll go with #2, although I think she'll make an ok president also. I don't anticipate any disasters with her as POTUS, nor to I anticipate any big changes.

In my opinion it's Congress (The Legislative Branch) which needs to be fixed, way more than the Executive Branch. Congress is thoroughly owned by big-money providers who can get them re-elected, and that's a broken system. Congress is supposed to be driven by the electorate, not by the people who can fund their media campaigns (which influence the electorate). Don't get me going...

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:39 pm
Cinco
Viisi
Cinq
Fünf
Because, as G W Bush once observed, "You are either with us, or you are against us."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
In a Ven Diagram of Finn and edgar there is this small but significant overlap. Smile
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:14 pm
Support? None of the above. How my vote will go is already decided but I will leave that for another discussion.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:18 pm
@Sturgis,
Isn't that #5?
Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Probably...

(I refuse to commit)
contrex

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Being the "lesser of two evils" doesn't bode well for a presidency that might be considered "good" or "great" since it means the person is "evil."

Well, we could unpack that "lesser of two evils" a bit. The word 'evil' is this context merely means "unpleasant option". It does not necessarily imply that both choices are "evil" in the cartoonish Bible Belt/Hollywood-horror-movie horns/cloven hooves/pitchfork sense. Anyhow, for me Mrs Clinton would not particularly be an unpleasant option. I don't agree that she is a totally bad person. She sounds like one hell of an operator. If the choice is between her and the dangerous demagogue Trump, I'll take Mrs Clinton.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:51 pm
@contrex,
True to an extent. I would argue that "evil" means unacceptable.

So it sounds like you've opted for #1
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 04:38 pm
You shouldn't call this a roll call, you're conducting a survey and you are inserting yourself in to every response. (At least that's what my husband told me I could say)
snood

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 07:50 pm
@glitterbag,
What kind of a drooling throwback troll would it take to suggest you would have to consult your husband for a response? Oh, nevermind...
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Years ago I swore I would NEVER EVER vote for Hillary for anything... then along came Donald Trump and I'm looking around for a "Hillary 2016" sign for my front lawn!
So #2) I support Clinton because she is the lesser of two evils
roger

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:06 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Me too, but holding my breath on future news.

1. Forums
  2. » Can We Have a Roll Call?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:46:07