What should I use as a substitute?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,849 • Replies: 20
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:02 pm
I'd shell out another 24 bucks a month and use cable or DSL.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Frank- Once you have tried cable, you would never go back to dial-up. The difference is amazing. I would never have the patience to sit and wait for dial-up to load!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:58 pm
Amen Frank...I pay 48 a month and it's worth it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:22 pm
I agree with everybody so posting so far. I have dial up at work, a fairly nice and helpful local server, and it drives me nuts. At home I have dsl, and really appreciate it. It comes to about $25. more a month, but, among other benefits, my telephone line is not always busy, one's phone still rings through. Then there is the speed. I'd never go back, never never never.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:24 pm
cable frank....worth every dime....
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
What Panzade said!

By the way Pan, ours is only $44.95 a month (Road Runner)Smile
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:10 pm
Get cable, you won't be sorry.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
I'm still happy with my $10/month dial-up. Though I'm sure y'all are right, if I ever get DSL, I'll probably wonder what took me so long.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:57 pm
Re: What should I use...
Frank Apisa wrote:
...I'm thinking of dumping AOL.

What should I use as a substitute?

IMO, you should sort out what you want to do for email (non ISP, I recommend buying your own domain for about 5-10 bucks a year and hosting it somewhere for email-only which would cost about 30 bucks a year).

This way, you can change your ISP at will, and not worry about your email being changed as you will have separated the services.

I have never once used my ISP for anything other than an internet connection, I don't want their "portal" features (content/email).

I use SBC primarily (I also maintain an AOL account (among many other ISP accounts) just to be able to use it to debug, since AOL's crappy software and networking means a lot of bugs for web developers).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:54 am
Frank- Case in point.

This morning, I was writing one of my "brilliant" missives on A2K. I had clicked, "submit". Immediately afterwards, all of a sudden, (as it is wont to do) Tampa Electric decides that I don't need their service for the next second or so, and the electricity goes off.

I knew that I could not reconstruct that marvelous post, with its wittiness and pithiness, and that made me sad. I went back to the thread, AND THERE IT WAS!

I rest my case!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Craven, Mac, Colorbook, Misti, Bear, Buco, Panz, Phoenix....

...thanx.

I'm still deciding.

Damn, I hate doing this because I don't know my a** from my elbow about this stuff.

Maybe...

...I'll throw it into Nancy's lap.

Hummmm....now how to do it so it seems like it is HER idea.....hummmmm.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:56 pm
Go for it Frank, Nancy will be very happy with cable, therefore ..........
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
or.. dsl. I hear cable can get slow with too many people on it. I have no idea if that is true. My dsl never poops out, but there is probably some neg to that to, that I don't know about.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:32 am
ossobuco wrote:
or.. dsl. I hear cable can get slow with too many people on it.

This is true of all services, DSL providers have just been more successful at sticking it to cable providers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:37 am
Quote:
I hear cable can get slow with too many people on it.

There ARE certain times when cable is not up to speed. But even when you factor that in, it is still light years ahead of dial-up!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:06 am
Ah, I didn't know that re dsl. Thanks.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:44 pm
So Frank, what did you decide?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:28 pm
Oh, Frank...how you will love the change!

I'm similar to Craven. I use SBC as my ISP only. I do have an email account there that I unload of junk mail about every two months and that's pretty much it. I have a regular email account elsewhere and of course could maintain any number of others....but dang, that's just too much effort! Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:40 pm
oh one not godaddy was recently running youname.info for like $1.99 cheap way to go on a domain name
0 Replies