Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:03 am
My Ducks started laying eggs, but don't try to hatch them, does anyone know how I could hatch them? Can I make an incubater if so any help please...my husband wants to eat the eggs...i want to hatch them...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,001 • Replies: 14
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:39 pm
Hmm...they may hatch if you use an incubater of some kind. Buy one of those red heat lamps, and put them under that. Also, i'm not sure at all, but doesn't it take around 30 days or something for eggs to hatch?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
Not sure about ducks but chickens will leave the eggs where ever they laid them until they have a full clutch to set on. They tend not to use the same nesting boxes as others hens unless they are forced to so it takes 10 days of them laying anone egg/day until they have 8 or 9 (they lay eggs for 6 days then take two days off! The nerve!) for the hen to have to clutch to set on.

I'm assuming you have a male around to make all of this happen of course. Without one the eggs aren't good for much besides eating. Wink
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:24 pm
fishin' wrote:
I'm assuming you have a male around to make all of this happen of course. Without one the eggs aren't good for much besides eating. Wink

Good point fishin'!
0 Replies

aam62297

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:53 pm
Thanks, Yes i do have 2 males , 2 females and about a dozen eggs. thanks for the tips, it does take 26 days to hatch but those silly ducks wont sit on them. should I just leave the eggs where they lay them and wait for them to sit?? Wont the eggs "die" if they get cold before the decide they have enough??? Boy I sure don't know anything about ducks!!
Guess its time to research incubators
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:01 pm
I'd have to agree with your husband on this.

Eat the eggs.

And then have sex. It will make your marriage stronger.
0 Replies

aam62297

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
duck eggs
LOL Laughing He would love that...but my little girls want baby ducks.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:17 pm
Stranger things have happened.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:53 pm
aam62297 wrote:
should I just leave the eggs where they lay them and wait for them to sit?? Wont the eggs "die" if they get cold before the decide they have enough??? Boy I sure don't know anything about ducks!!
Guess its time to research incubators

I'd leave the eggs alone for a few weeks and see what they do. If these are the 1st eggs these ducks have laid they'll have to learn by trying a few times.

Chicken eggs can still be hatched as long as the temps don't drop below 40 degrees or so. Once the eggs are laid they sort of go dormant until they are warmed to the hen's body temp. That's how they can lay them all 10 or so days apart but still have them all hatch within a few hours of each other. Wink

(You can get a small incubator for under $40 in most feed stores should you decide to go that route)
0 Replies

aam62297

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:12 am
thanks so much that was very informative !!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:19 am
Tell your husband that full-grown ducks give much more protein yield than the eggs.
0 Replies

aam62297

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:26 am
I can't let him do that either....I like my eggs in foam containers and my meats wraped in cellophane.....ya just cant eat family members !!!! In fact i think i could kill my husband easier than my pets !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
Laughing My apartment complex used to have a regular annual visitation from a family of ducks until they needed to chase them away from the fountains, as the water is chlorinated.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:58 pm
aam62297 wrote:
I can't let him do that either....I like my eggs in foam containers and my meats wraped in cellophane.....ya just cant eat family members !!!! In fact i think i could kill my husband easier than my pets !

You can buy the foam cartons at the feed store too! Very Happy
0 Replies

RainbowFarmer

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
Hi, I have ducks. If you haven't sorted out your problem by now, maybe this may help...

My ducks will only sit on a 'clutch'... which means collecting the eggs together and putting them in a nest, preferably one that already has at least one egg in it. You only need about 4 to kick it off, and then you can add others after dark. If you have hand raised your duck, you'll find adding eggs a bit easier... You don't need to lift her up or anything... just place the eggs beside her and she'll tuck them in herself.

Eggs can (and are) left for up to four hours by the mama duck... so I use that as a guide as to how quickly I try to get them back under one. Only choose large well shaped eggs... as this is a sign of readiness. Small mis-shapen eggs show an early layer and the eggs are unlikely to make it. Is it possible your ducks have only just started laying? That would explain why they aren't actually sitting properly. Also - try not to disturb your sitting duck, they can be put off the nest very easily by dogs, kids, or any nuisance act. Consider this when preparing your clutch and place eggs in the most unlikely place to be interrupted.

Duck eggs take longer than chicken eggs. 28 days, but if you have Muscovies, add another week.

Also - Inbreeding weakens ducks very quickly and inbred eggs often do not survive the hatching process. Your little crew aren't a family are they?

Hope that is helpful,
Nic
0 Replies