Dog Walker Discovers a Penny Worth Thousands

Col Man

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
LONDON (Reuters) - A routine walk with his dog turned into a profitable excursion for one man, who discovered a 1,200-year-old gold penny during the stroll and now expects to sell it for thousands of pounds.
The coin was discovered on a public footpath beside the River Ivel in Bedfordshire, England. It is the first new Anglo-Saxon gold penny to come to light in nearly a century and the only known gold coin with the name of Coenwulf -- a king who ruled over the central English region of Mercia.

London auctioneers Spink estimate the coin will sell for 120,000-150,000 pounds ($214,100-267,700) when it goes under the hammer in October. But Richard Bishop, an auctioneer at Spink, said the coin's excellent condition might help the price rise beyond the top estimate.

"It's obviously going to be far in excess of anything that the average guy would expect to find when he's out walking his dog," said Bishop.

link : http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=6204583
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 402 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:45 pm
Col Man, the link did not work for me.

Also; one of a kind,excellent condition, found by a public foot path, I smell a fake. I would expect there would be other 7/8th century evidence (like ruins, or burials or at least archaeological evidence of such) in the immediate vicinity of where the coin was found if it were genuine.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
seems dodgy to me too is more like the guy got it somewhere else but it seems real
hmm your right the link doesnt work aargh !

well its at reuters.com under the oddly enough news section if yer really interested
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
somebody remind me to find a dog to walk.

Now that's interesting!
0 Replies