The Science of Human Intelligence

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:36 pm
Hi,

I am a Psychology student right now and we are currently studying human intelligence. I thought I would share with you two articles my Professor recently gave our class:

The General Intelligence Factor

Despite some popular assertions, a single factor for intelligence, called g, can be measured with IQ tests and does predict success in life --- Linda S. Gottfredson.

No subject in psychology has provoked more intense public controversy than the study of human intelligence. From its beginning, research on how and why people differ in overall mental ability has fallen prey to political and social agendas that obscure or distort even the most well-established scientific findings. Journalists, too, often present a view of intelligence research that is exactly the opposite of what most intelligence experts believe. For these and other reasons, public understanding of intelligence falls far short of public concern about it. The IQ experts discussing their work in the public arena can feel as though they have fallen down the rabbit hole into Alice's Wonderland.

The debate over intelligence and intelligence testing focuses on the question of whether it is useful or meaningful to evaluate people according to a single major dimension of cognitive competence. Is there indeed a general mental ability we commonly call "intelligence," and is it important in the practical affairs of life? The answer, based on decades of intelligence research, is an unequivocal yes. No matter their form or content, tests of mental skills invariably point to the existence of a global factor that permeates all aspects of cognition. And this factor seems to have considerable influence on a person's practical quality of life. Intelligence as measured by IQ tests is the single most effective predictor known of individual performance at school and on the job. It also predicts many other aspects of well-being, including a person's chances of divorcing, dropping out of high school, being unemployed or having illegitimate children.

The complete article is at http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/apa.htm#SA

and

From Mainstream Science on Intelligence, published in The Wall Street Journal, December 13, 1994, and signed by 52 professors, all experts in intelligence and allied fields:

Since the publication of "The Bell Curve," many commentators have offered opinions about human intelligence that misstate current scientific evidence. Some conclusions [25 listed below] dismissed in the media as discredited are actually firmly supported.

This statement outlines conclusions regarded as mainstream among researchers on intelligence, in particular, on the nature, origins, and practical consequences of individual and group differences in intelligence. Its aim is to promote more reasoned discussion of the vexing phenomenon that the research has revealed in recent decades. The following conclusions are fully described in the major textbooks, professional journals and encyclopedias in intelligence.

The complete article is at http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/wsj.htm

Please let me know what you think about the validity of defining and measuring human intelligence.

Regards.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 5
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:51 pm
Anything that exists can be quantified by definition, although that does not mean we humans can measure it accurately. I do not think the IQ test is a very accurate one. We also know that some people can be very artistic, while not very good at abstract subjects such as math, and vice versa...so I do not think that intelligence can be quantified by a single number.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 03:10 am
I'm in between the view of stuh and that of the 57 prophesors. The IQ number is useful for prescreening applicants, just as the college grede point average is useful for prescreening, but specialized tests are needed for predicting performance on specific tasks and attitude tests (if reflective of reality) can easilly overcome, or diminish 10 points of IQ. ie Who needs a salesman who closes 20% of his pitches, if he is doing big time PR damage and most of his previous success and failure customers refuse to communicate with him again or anyone else from the company? That is an attitude/personality problem which may be agrivated by his high IQ. Neil
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:26 pm

Many times I have called attentiont to the meaning of the word "reify" or "reification." "To treat an abstraction as substantialy existing, or as a concrete, material object"
IQ is an abstractuion, not a physical thing. It is not measureble in the sense that we can decribe the heigth of someone, the color of their eyes and hair, their weight, etc.
"Intelligence" is more like the word "soul." The fact that a person tested for their IQ will change over time inidicates that there is nothing concrete called "intelligence."

As another example, let's take the word "flag." I think to some people, the word "flag" has been reified into "our country" . The flag does not "represent" our country, but "is our country". To these people, the "Flag" is not a symbol. To these people, burning or defacing the flag is not a symoblic act, but is seen as an attack on the country.

Likewise Hamlet. Over three thousand books have been written about Hamlet. In most of these books, Hamlet is treated as though he really existed. Hamlet was a fictitious character created by a playwright, Shakesepeare, for dramatic purposes.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
I do buy the idea that there are aptitude and ability tests that can predict the probability of a person's success or failure in given fields or occupations. But this is merely testing what a person has learned.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
About a year ago I read about the different types of intelligence, some of them were musical, scientific, motor and creativity.

That would classify Forrest Gump as a genius thanks to his amazing body coordination and physical talents, I have no problem with that.

On a personal level, I sometimes say that intelligent people are those that know how to live their life happily. It semi-clashes with a previous post of mine but that's the kind of confusion I get trying to divide smart people from the rest.
I think this is no direct relation to the topic but, oh well.
0 Replies