What does All-Scholastics mean?

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:06 am
I tried to look this up as a definition but I only could find the definition for scholastics not the All Scholastics title. I thought you would supposed to be a top athlete and student. But what does that mean - is there a certain grade; certain athletic element you are to obtain?

My daughter recently was told that our paper choose her along with some other high schoolers for the spring sports. I understand this is a good thing and I've read about these high school kids before, but was more curious as to the details now that it is more personal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,263 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:14 am
@Linkat,
My first guess was that this someone who knows everything about all scholastic philosophers. But when looking at the results of a googl search, I noticed it's about sports ...
Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It is supposed to be for a student athlete. That much I know - it is supposed to be a good student and athlete, but I wasn't sure what the qualifications or expectations on both sides were.

In other words is this a really good thing or it is an ok sort of thing -- on both or either side (sports and/or academics).
engineer

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:48 am
@Linkat,
If I read "All State" as the best athletes in a sport in a particular state, then I would read "All Scholastics" as being the best athletes in the school system. When my local paper recognizes the best student athletes, they just focus on students, so public and private schools and anywhere in the general readership. Here is also high school only, but not limited to any particular grade in high school. I've seen outstanding athletes win four years in a row.

It might be informative to look up what the paper has done in the past, but I think it is clearly a "really good thing". Usually you don't get that kind of nomination without the support of the school administration and some pretty good athletic results to back it up. Congratulations to your daughter.
Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 09:01 am
@engineer,
It isn't all state - it is a paper that covers the area of the state we live in.

So it is a good thing to let college coaches know she was named as. (in other words there is stuff that is fluff and stuff that makes you stand out).

I have seen some of the players in the past - she got honorable mention last year so her name was there, but no picture or write up like she will have this year. Her teammate has been on it the past couple of years and she is playing college ball next year. But another player was on it last year that was a year older and didn't have as good stats on the field so I figure there has to be more than just straight sports stats to determine this.

Overall though all those mentioned are good athletes. Not sure completely about the academics as other than one I am not familiar with their grades. I will look at the write-ups to see what they say about their academics, but now that I remember they also ask about other things you do outside of school - so they must look at someone well-rounded.

Oh and thanks - she was very excited about it - I just know that sometimes there is too much fluff stuff. Of course being her mom, I think she deserves it, but I am biased.
0 Replies