A strange controversy in Korea

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 10:46 am
@saab,
In my experience, Germans outside of Gemany tend not to like each other. They/we disappear into the majority community if possible.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 11:15 am
@ehBeth,
That is interesting as in USA there were real German settlements and there are many German place names. Pennsylvania had many Germans and also many German names. In Berlin, WI the telephonebook is full of German names.

We took a European trip once, Altona, Berlin, Belgium, Denmark, Kiel, Lake Geneva, Luxemburg, New Berlin, New Glarus, New Holstein, New London, New Lisbon, Ripon, Sussex, Verona, Wales,
That was all within Wisconsin.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:00 pm
@Blickers,
What is interesting to me is the fact that the majority in the US during WWII were Germans. WWI and WWII were with Germany. Facts are stranger than fiction.
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have heard the over 50% were German descendent . I think that was so also into the 50ies.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:04 pm
@saab,
Dwight David “Ike” Eisenhower, born David Dwight Eisenhower in Texas to a family of German immigrants who first arrived in America in 1732 and settled in York, Pennsylvania. Eisenhower joined the U.S. military and served as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe in the Second World War.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, Soldier and US President - Germany
www.germany.travel/.../german.../dwight-d-eisenhower-soldier-and-us-pres...
Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Dwight David “Ike” Eisenhower, born David Dwight Eisenhower in Texas to a family of German immigrants who first arrived in America in 1732 and settled in York, Pennsylvania. Eisenhower joined the U.S. military and served as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe in the Second World War.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, Soldier and US President - Germany
www.germany.travel/.../german.../dwight-d-eisenhower-soldier-and-us-pres...

Howver, with all that "German" DNA, he was said to have stated that he was almost ashamed of his heritage when he saw the death camps. German citizens did not show such reactions usually. Regardless of DNA effecting our height, hair color, eye color, how we think has to do with the world we lived in.
Blickers

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't believe that a majority of Americans were of German descent, but German descent is the largest single ethnic group in the USA. Here's a chart for the breakdown of ethnic groups in America, percentage are in parentheses on the left. The major difference between now and WWII is probably the amount of Hispanics in the country.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg/800px-Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg
saab

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:11 pm
@Blickers,
That was a suprise: more Norwegians than Swedes and still Sweden has a population which is twiche that of Norway.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:10 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
I don't believe that a majority of Americans were of German descent, but German descent is the largest single ethnic group in the USA.

That's true: I said it poorly which can be misconstrued.

Also, as anyone can see, we Asians don't exist.
Actually, it's 5.6%.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:26 pm
@saab,
I wonder if germans mostly emigrated to the northern US, or Canada. I know little about this, just musing. There were German families on our block in Evanston, Illinois, just north of Chicago, our block being smack next to the Catholic Church. A bunch of the rest of us were of irish descent, by happenstance and maybe by catholicism. That was in the early fifties, probably different by now.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I read many years ago that Germans moved to the midwest when they arrived into this country. They were wealthier than the Irish or Italians who arrived, who didn't have the money to travel further inland.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:32 pm
@Foofie,
I recently saw a photo of German soldiers being shown photos or films of the camps and they were pretty much to a man visibly distressed by what they saw.
Generalizing about people of a country is dumb.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:41 pm
@saab,
Maybe the Norwegians had more reason to move out.
Blickers

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote cicerone imposter:
Quote:
Also, as anyone can see, we Asians don't exist.
Actually, it's 5.6%.

Relax, you exist. You just aren't in the top 15 countries of origin. I don't think they classify you as Asian, I believe you are classified as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. That's why Asians as a group didn't make the top 15 countries of origin.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 07:13 pm
@Blickers,
Yea, I know.
Before, during, and after WWII, we used to be the second largest Asians in this country. We're now so small, we don't even show up on the radar.
Many of our children have married outside our culture, and that's another reason. Another is that Japan's economy has been relatively good, and they no longer need to look outside their country for jobs. We have English, Chinese, German, and Russian in our family. I believe that's great.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:31 am
@ossobucotemp,
The northern Europeans emigrated to northern US or Canada where the earth were good and it would be easy to start farming. Often Catholics and Protestants in different areas. Germany as ccountry did not exist until 1891 before that it was many small states.
saab

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hardly anybody who moved to USA or Canada were wealthy - they were poor or just had enough to survive. They had to sell farms, borrow money or being helped by relatives already in USA to get there. To call them wealthy is close to an insult and forgetting the hard work, the tragedies behind the emigration and everything they had to say good bye to.
The Irish were poor and often came as farmhelpers or workers, and came as far as I cam remember later, when the first ones had started to build up so much that they needed help.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:43 am
@roger,
Between 1850 to 1900 there were 4 million Swedes in Sweden and 1,2 million left for USA
Norway who had a bit less people than Sweden and was just as poor 800 000 left.
Still when you look into how many Swedish Americans or Norwegian Americans, there are more from Norway. You can also check state by state.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:50 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Germany as ccountry did not exist until 1891 before that it was many small states.
Obviously a typo: 1871 it is.

But you are correct: most "German immigrants" are actually emigrants from Bavaria ( "Palatine" was mainly a Bavarian territory in the 18th/19th century), different Hessian countries, Prussian provinces, ... ... ...
saab

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 03:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Only a person will take it as a compliment to be made twenty years younger.
Sorry, Germany.....
0 Replies