Biting insect - Can't identify or find information

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 06:18 pm
Hello.

I am hoping someone can help me with this mystery. I have looked at pictures, searched the forum, found nothing, maybe I have been using the wrong keywords. I am on Long Island, NY. Suburbs.

Now that the weather is nice, I am outside on my patio every day. Recently, maybe because it is getting hotter, but I keep getting bitten, on my feet, by this tiny bug. I am not great with visual measurement, but I would say it is approximately an eighth of an inch? It is significantly painful considering the size. Did not want to let go, I blew on it, no budging, I had to flick it (I don't like hurting insects, but, it had to come off, but it was fine).

The description:
Black and white, looked like a scale pattern, but not sure if it is actual scales. But an alternating black and white. I don't recall seeing antennas, or a tail, but, it is like a pointed oval. I don't know if it is just my skin being sensitive, but I got tiny water blisters, all near the bite point. Keeps happening, I have to hold my feet up now when I am sitting down.

Any ideas on what it might be, and how to keep them away? A green method is preferred, we have a lot of rabbits, chipmunks, etc. in the yard.

If it happens again, or I see it, I will try to get a photo.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Best,
A.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 06:21 pm
@antoniaml,
I am from LI!

You might want to be checked for Lyme disease if you start experiencing symptoms. Don't want to alarm you, but it sounds like it was a tick but you got rid of it before it really dug in. At least, that's my first thought from your post.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 07:15 pm
@antoniaml,
Really need a photo if you can get a good one.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 10:46 am
@antoniaml,
Check your bedlinen for bedbugs - White (spirit) vinegar and vodka eradicates (Fine spray) - Repeat in 7-14 days to whack hatchlings.
Try to identify time and location (Day/night-indoors/outdoors) and I will be of more use to you.
0 Replies