Duties of Good Women

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:42 am
I never learned....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:46 am
I've some school reports from grandmother, from early 20th century, which she got at a (private) girl's grammar school: needle work had been done there as well as there were classes about "pre-school paedagogics", French and English.

Very different to those of my grandfather :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:51 am
you never learned what, bookkeeping or pearls?

Walter, you're right, that is some of what we are talking about...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 01:00 am
I guess I don't think young women now know how recent the gains are. I understand this, as I have seen my own view of decades widen with my own jumps past being 21 and with wider reading.

Once I got into reading about the fifteenth and sixteenth and seventeenth centuries for interest, and found some of the writng ... remarkably understandable, my own sense of myself in time changed immediately. I think it was Cellini's autobiography that did it, it was similar to a recent best seller, if a bit quaint.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:09 am
Another area that society has not experienced these "gains" is the military draft.

If we are removing gender roles from society should we still exempt women from the draft. Would you have wanted to be included in the Vietnam draft? Would you want young women drafted if our current set of conflicts demands it?

This is one burden that is still unfairly placed exclusively on men.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:34 am
have you seen one of the earlier threads on this topic, ebrown?

When women here supported the draft for BOTH genders, if it is to occur at all, a number of the men here accused women of terrible motives for joining the military - and of selfishly destroying it if they WERE part of it- it was, as I pointed out, a no-win.

I will try and find the thread for you later...

I think you will find more complexity here, too, than you think you will.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 04:25:06