Duties of Good Women

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
Back in the bad old days when Men were Men and Women were Woeful, the place and duties of a Good Woman were clearly understood.

Times have changed and ancient lore and strictures are forgotten.

Can we compile an archive of The Duties of Good Women?

To begin:

Assuming a pose of Rapt Attention. (This was much easier when I smoked)

Any additions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,006 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:05 pm
Having dinner ready and on the table when he comes home from a hard day at work.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:07 pm
I seem to remember Phyllis Schafly saying that, if you met your husband at the door wearing a see through negligee, he might get you a new refrigerator. Ooooohh.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:08 pm
Oh, I guess it was really important for women to shave their legs, no matter how clumsy they were....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:10 pm
Um, Dys just said that in the West, the saying was: "Back in the olden days, men were men and sheep were nervous." I like that one better.
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:10 pm
And make sure the children are quiet and well-behaved, so as not to stress your hubby. (He works so hard and you don't, after all.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:12 pm
Me? My opinion?

Oh really, I don't have an opinion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:13 pm
For women, as they say ... uhm, SAID, of course :wink: ... there are the three big K's:

Küche, Kinder, Kirche = Kitchen, children, church.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
It may be my Y chromosome speaking....

But I don't get the purpose of this type of dicussion.

Were the "bad old days" really all that bad? or is this another great example of human nature that every cultural point of view looks down on any other cultural point of view -- especially those of the past.

But what is wrong with women cooking dinner for their husbands. In many families the wife doesn't work and cooking is part of a equtable division of responsibilities. Can this be done as a fair arrangement between two equal partners in a respectful relationship?

I also have nothing against see through negligees. It seems that in any intimate relationship, one will do things to excite
his or her partner. A negligee will do it for me. I would reciprocate, but my wife simply is not pleased by me wearing a see through anything... There are other things that work much better.

I would argue that the Duties of a good wife is the same as the duties of a good spouse. To fulfill their commitment to build a strong family. What this entails in very heavily influenced by the culture you live in.

In the past roles were a bit more clearly defined. Now we choose to leave them a bit more open. There were some advantages to the old way, even though most of us prefer to live with the modern openess.

But bashing times gone by seems as foolish as wishing for them. They weren't all bad, and they weren't all good.

Or am I missing something?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:36 pm
A woman's place is on her back and barefoot. Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
I think you are missing something, ebrown.

I don't think anyone here is "bashing" anything - just pointing out the difference between what used to be expected and what currently is true in most families.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
and, back in the good old days, women didn't have the means or the encouragement to go out and earn their own money, so they really were beholden to their husbands.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Once upon a time, the total responsibility for a healthy marriage rested on the Little Wife. Men could do little wrong--and that little was often explained by, "My wife doesn't understand me."

Some trips down Memory Lane are sentimental journeys. Other excursions are....."purging" would be a good word.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:13 pm
I think in some ways that dependence is good. As she is dependent on him, he is on her and what she brings to the family (him and the children).

Our independence and need to fulfill our own needs first and "at all costs" has broken up many marriages. I can give several reasons to why the above is a good thing too, but since I'm old-fashion when it comes to what "I" believe my duties are as a wife, this is where I stand.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:15 pm
noddy, right to the point.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
gala--

Thanks for the kind words.

Now, let us consider the Southern Baptists's position: Memorable, but not a memory.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
would that be duties of the good woman squared or cubed?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:24 pm
epbrown - the bad old days were in fact, bad for many - men, women and children. I wonder about some of the scientific discoveries that were probably delayed because girls/women were not encouraged to pursue their education, let alone the sciences.

It disturbs me to think that there are still children who are being raised to think there are defined male and female roles, and that other ways are wrong/dangerous/inappropriate. I think it makes us all smaller when anyone's options are diminished.

I do agree, very much, with your comment about being a good spouse. Being a good spouse is more important than simply being a good wife.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:31 pm
i think about that woman in texas who killed her 5 children afew years ago... she was a good christian who was crying out for help long before. her cries were ignored, she was stepping out of her role by having a voice, she was expected to follow the code. an extreme example, nonetheless a viable one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:34 pm
Mr. B spent the first few years of his live in Beaver Cleaver land and there is ample photographic evidence to prove it. His beaming family smiled out of the newspaper so often that you'd have thought they were celebrities.

Then, his father walked out on the family in favor of his seceratary and Mrs. B was forced to go to work for the first time in her life.

And she persevered. Without child support. Without alimony. She raised four kids on what she earned which was next to nothing.

I know I'm very lucky to have a husband raised by such a determined woman. To say that I love my mother-in-law would be an understatment.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Duties of Good Women
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 03:20:33