Did the first Americans come from Australia?

Col Man

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:03 pm
EXETER (Reuters) - Anthropologists have stepped into a hornets' nest, revealing research that suggests the original inhabitants of America may in fact have come from what is now known as Australia.

The claim will be extremely unwelcome to today's native Americans who came overland from Siberia and say they were there first.

But Silvia Gonzalez from John Moores University in Liverpool said skeletal evidence pointed strongly to this unpalatable truth and hinted that recovered DNA would corroborate it.

"This is very contentious," Gonzalez, a Mexican, said with a smile at the annual meeting of the British association for the Advancement of Science on Monday. "They (native Americans) cannot claim to have been the first people there."

She said there was very strong evidence that the first migration came from Australia via Japan and Polynesia and down the Pacific Coast of America.

Skulls of a people with distinctively long and narrow heads discovered in Mexico and California predated by several thousand years the more rounded features of the skulls of native Americans.

One particularly well preserved skull of a long-face woman had been carbon dated to 12,700 years ago, whereas the oldest accurately dated native American skull was only about 9,000 years old.

"We have extracted her DNA. It is going to be a bomb," she said, declining to give details but adding that the tests carried out so far were being replicated to make sure they were accurate.

She said there were tales from Spanish missionaries of an isolated coastal community of long-face people in Baja California of a completely different race and rituals from other communities in America at the time.

These last survivors were wiped out by diseases imported by the Spanish conquerors, Gonzalez said.

The research is one of 11 different projects in America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East being funded over a four-year period by Britain's Natural Environment Research Council.

The projects, focusing on diet, dating and dispersal of people down the millennia in the face of climate change, aim to rewrite anthropology.

"We want to make headlines from heads," said Professor Clive Gamble of Southampton university. "DNA will give us a completely new map of the world and how we peopled it."

link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040906/80/f20be.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,647 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:50 pm
interesting.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:55 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:57 pm
I knew there was disparity between skeletal finds of late and the convential theories about the arrival of the amerinds. But, I thought the theory of the new finds was that they were from the S Pacific isles. I guess Australia is a S P Isle of a sort.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
ive seen programs on the discovery channel of evidence that a vast seafaring nation existed around 10-12,000 years ago and that they sailed all over the world
so maybe they were based in oz but i did hear that most of the evidence was found in south america
hmm my memory fails me now as to the exact details
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Thanks for posting this, Col Man!

Speaking of Discovery Channel - there article about this seems a bit more informative than the Reuter's one :wink:

Quote:
Study: Native Americans Weren't the First
Source
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
I saw this on google news this morning. There were remains discoverd in the Northwest a few years ago, but the native Indians of the area demanded it be returned for proper burial, so DNA tests were never done.

It will be interesting to follow this since there is, presumably, DNA evidence proving the theory. I also wonder how native Americans will deal with it if it proves to be true. To me, it doesn't seem to make any difference, as native Americans developed an enduring civilization. Are their religious myths so strong that they leave no room for other explorers so long ago? Interesting.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
nice one walter Wink Very Happy
now why didnt i think of looking at the discovery website... Smile
but hey, i have you to help me Very Happy
yeah real interesting stuff for me too this Very Happy
glad too be of service Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:15 pm
damn and all along I thought it was Brigham Young that discovered america with a map he found on some gold tablets that were written in an alien language no one else could read. I am shattered. I am, of course, still operating under the asumption the Utah is the center of the universe (as we know it)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:50 pm
littlek wrote:
I guess Australia is a S P Isle of a sort.

Lil K - this is THE South Pacific island of choice (not of a sort! tut tut!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 09:59 pm
Not 'of a sort' simply because it is considered at least a psuedocontinent.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:45 am
Littlek, are feeling wild and reckless today? With all the Aussies on a2k, you might want to consider hiding out for the next few days until they onto another subject!!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:12 am
Psuedocontinent?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:37 am
Well, subcontinent to be precise.

But: upside down, this might be "psuedo" :wink:
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:46 pm
Rubbish!

We're an island, a continent, and a country! All good things rolled together!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:54 am
Yes! Very Happy
0 Replies